• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ac help on the conversion

dcw88

Local time
4:31 PM
Reaction score
Hi all I got the factory AC on my 69 satellite. The compressor works still but I want to upgrade to the the r134a gas. Which is the low side and high side on my system. I attached a photo in hope people can assist me

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Before you do any vacuum or charging, change our the condenser for a parallel flow one designed for 134. Will make a difference.

Before you do any vacuum or charging, change our the condenser for a parallel flow one designed for 134. Will make a difference.
Thanks for that I was wondering where the new connectors as I am confused where the low side and high side goes

I believe high connection is the condenser.

High side is compressed gas/condensed liquid. Low side is suction after X-valve thru evaporator coil to compressor inlet. Do some research on this conversion, I removed the EPR valve from the compressor and added a thermostat to control the compressor clutch. It must be cycled to control evaporator temperature or freeze up will occur.
Mike

Have I got this right the high side at the front and the low side at the back

2254F9C5-1BF7-4F88-8A91-884E40E124A4.jpeg

High side = smaller hoses/lines
Low side = larger hoses/lines

To get satisfactory cooling with 134a a multi-pass condenser is highly recommended as mentioned by diesel_lv. 493 Mike also has a good suggestion regarding adding a thermostat. There are quite a few threads regarding AC conversions that have lots of good advice i.e.

Auto Transport Service
Back