• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Elderly Oakland man’s prized antique Corvette stolen from his home in broad daylight: ‘No consequences in this city’

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:52 PM
Reaction score
Beware of people following you home. Hopefully he had theft insurance on it.

An elderly Oakland car enthusiast’s treasured antique vehicle was stolen from his home in broad daylight amid the city’s crime problem, comparing the theft to a “stab in the heart.”

Dave Lechthaler said thieves broke into his garage and made off with his bright red 1959 Chevrolet Corvette on April 15, just a month before he turned 80 years old, according to KTVU.

“They knew how to drive the car because it was a stick and they just drove right out,” Lechthaler said.

Two thieves were caught on surveillance video steal an elderly man's cherished red 1959 Corvette.

Two thieves were caught on surveillance video stealing an elderly man’s cherished red 1959 Corvette.

I think a good slap on the wrist will dissuade those absconders, should they be caught. Maybe some stern words to go along with that ?

New excape from movie coming out ! Chicago, Portland , Denver , Oakland , San Francisco and on on and it goes !

Thanks for posting this
Richard.
I've brought the subject of
rising car thefts up before.
With the push for EV's, I see
this getting worse. We're
headed for a Cuban
scenario.
I feel bad for this guy.

Not only no consequences but cops that aren't willing to investigate.... A hidden GPS tracker is great, it allows you to know where your car is at all times, someone leans on your car & you are notified within seconds... But if it gets stolen the cops aren't willing to get involved.... So you better be prepared to track it & do something about it.... BTW Cops & prosecutors frown on vigilante justice....

They may have been very needy or abused as children. Congress should form a committee to investigate the cause.

I don't know about anyone else, but our relatively remote location out here (with the requisite 1/4 mile
tiny 1-lane road and our own additional 1/4 mile drive, straight up the ridge) makes it really easy to
keep an eye behind when arriving back home.
The view from here is that I can see what's up in the valley below rather easily - and the sound even
helps to alert one to things sometimes, the way it echoes up here.

All that to say, I am keeny aware of any potential followers when we approach home - as well as when
we're leaving, as I scope out the surroundings on the way out of here, too.
It doesn't hurt that I work from home mostly these days either - and that friendly neighbors with a
common enthusiasm for firearms do also sort of keep an eye out for one another, either.
Our sheriff basically says "do what you need to, then call us after."

Not only no consequences but cops that aren't willing to investigate.... A hidden GPS tracker is great, it allows you to know where your car is at all times, someone leans on your car & you are notified within seconds... But if it gets stolen the cops aren't willing to get involved.... So you better be prepared to track it & do something about it.... BTW Cops & prosecutors frown on vigilante justice....
After posting the above, this popped up in my feed... Kinda confirms my post...

After posting the above, this popped up in my feed... Kinda confirms my post...

Wonder if someone shot out the tires on that charger would be a deterrent ? After all, police are too busy to get involved.

No way I'd live in such a place - or state.
Why do I get the feeling that if he had taken matters into his own hands, the cops
would have been there in a slap hurry - and probably to arrest him?

New excape from movie coming out ! Chicago, Portland , Denver , Oakland , San Francisco and on on and it goes !
add Minneapolis Minnesota to that list... :carrot:

My girlfriend's Land Rover was stolen and the police were behind it 10 minutes later weren't allowed to intervene because they were going over 45 mph. The kids waved, gave the finger and laughed knowing the police wer ed powerless.

Oakland is a **** hole !
There and the surrounding areas are expensive **** holes. My wifes cousin lives in San Francisco, in a 2 bedroom, one bath, 813 square foot, $750,000 **** hole. You have to watch your every move. No thanks!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back