• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine ID help

cshop

Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone help ID the stamping on this hemi I have in a 66 coronet.
engine id.jpg

Ok, I guess
C mean 67
426 means Hemi
WT means water test
11 29 means November 29th
088 means 88th engine built today (wow, that sounds like alot)

Ok, I guess
C mean 67
426 means Hemi
WT means water test
11 29 means November 29th
088 means 88th engine built today (wow, that sounds like alot)
Thank you. the 088 part was throwing me off because like you said that seems like a lot, there is also a date stamped by the starter ear that reads 11-16-66. any idea what the "T V" stamped on the engine pad behind the 426 means ? its pretty faint and stamped the other direction of the ch 426

11-16-66 on the starter would be for a 67 car. Look at that second 8, it looks funny, maybe it isn't a second 8. 8th of the day would sound more reasonable. I don't know about that TV. What is the build info on the bottom of the motor?

11-16-66 on the starter would be for a 67 car. Look at that second 8, it looks funny, maybe it isn't a second 8. 8th of the day would sound more reasonable. I don't know about that TV. What is the build info on the bottom of the motor?
engine short block assembly.jpg
IMG_20240111_174510.jpg
engine cast date.jpg

the casting date is 10-3-66 , I agree the second 8 looks funny ,the TV and the funny looking 8 is what has me curious

If that is all that's on the bottom, maybe it's a replacement short block? Maybe it's on the other side. It should look like this:

9-10-68 MV42626010001
These numbers are decoded as follows:
A. The first numbers are the date of the stamping (9-10-68)
B. The next letters indicate the engine assembly plant- in this example, Marysville.
C. The next three digits indicate cubic inch displacement: 426
D. The next four digits (2601) are from the 10,000 day calendar: 2601 = Sept 10, 1968.
E. The final four numbers (0001) show that this was the first engine assembled that day.

That is all the stampings I can find anywhere on the block . The vehicle is a 66 coronet 426 with 4 speed manual, seller claimed it is a all numbers matching car, got the fender tag and ibm card and had it decoded so I'm trying to verify the drivetrain. it appears the engine is from a 67 but not positive on all the stampings on the engine id pad, I don't believe the transmission is correct either as the ship date on the ibm car is 01/06/66, there looks like a date casting on the transmission tail shaft that I believe reads 6.7.66
IMG_20240506_104152.jpg

As you can tell the block was cast long after the 66 model year had ended. Even if it wasn't, 66's didn't have VIN stamps no 66 or 67 can verify that it's the original engine. Everything says the engine came in a 67.

As you can tell the block was cast long after the 66 model year had ended. Even if it wasn't, 66's didn't have VIN stamps no 66 or 67 can verify that it's the original engine. Everything says the engine came in a 67.
That is what I have realized after all this research I've done, I figured id give it a shot with a post on here to see if anyone knew anything more about those odd stampings. Thank you for your help

Auto Transport Service
Back