• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear seat foam

Wagontom

Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
For those of you that did your own seats, did you use cotton padding in the rear tops like original or did you use some kind of foam?

I tried using some 1” high density foam but it seems to be too thick

Got my supplies from Legendary with my seat covers. Front and rear seat backs used cotton batting.

Got my supplies from Legendary with my seat covers. Front and rear seat backs used cotton batting.
I noticed the original is two pieces of 1 inch thick cotton with a piece of burlap in between them and burlap sewn on the outside, did you do something similar when you replaced yours?

I used the burlap then covered it with heavy felt. Attached dense upholstery foam 0.5 or 1 inch depending on what you want (muslin glued to the sides) and then covered it with the colored upholstery. As for the backs I was able to reuse the existing padding. Otherwise, I would have done the same. My process I made into a document and is posted on another website. Also, I came up with my own method for attaching the backrest upholstery since those tabs are not always the best to reuse.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures:

1713554696174.png
1713554745590.png

1713554785291.png
1713554828462.png

For the backs on my seats I followed the installation videos available on Legendary’s website. It’s a good reference for how the factory did the seats. I’d recommend checking it out. Front and back uppers are done the same way.
Burlap is first layer over the bare springs.
Then several layers of cotton batting.
Then muslin to hold it all together.
Then seat covers.

IMG_2208.jpeg

IMG_2209.jpeg

IMG_2212.jpeg

IMG_2213.jpeg

I used the burlap then covered it with heavy felt. Attached dense upholstery foam 0.5 or 1 inch depending on what you want (muslin glued to the sides) and then covered it with the colored upholstery. As for the backs I was able to reuse the existing padding. Otherwise, I would have done the same. My process I made into a document and is posted on another website. Also, I came up with my own method for attaching the backrest upholstery since those tabs are not always the best to reuse.
I was thinking about using rivets in place of the tabs. Do you have a link to that post?

Auto Transport Service
Back