• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bearing race spins in hub ??

tirefryin-Bob

Local time
6:38 AM
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help that may have ran across this as well. I just discovered that the outer bearing race spins inside the front wheel hub.
The brake drum is a 11" x 3" and from the looks of it they are hard to find or come by.
I have read on other forums people using a knurling tool and/or Loctite 648 or 660. Anyone try this method?
Can a wheel hub with a spinning bearing race be repaired??

Thanks for any input fellas.

Hub outer.jpg

Hub inner.jpg

Use Loctite bearing retainer. If there is significant side to side play, you may need to shim it first.

That happened on my front disc brake hub back before repops were being made. Thankfully there was enough meat in the hub that a machine shop was able to bore it out and make a sleeve to bring it back to original diameter. Been driving on it for over 30 years without any issues.

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated!
I'll try the loctite method first and see how it goes. If not I'll have to look for a machinist then.

Bob

IOM.....i'd recommend Loctite 603
  • Designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts, especially for sintered bearings and also where consistently clean surfaces cannot be assured.
  • The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close-fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage due to shock and vibration.
  • It has a high oil tolerance.
  • High-strength retaining compound.
  • Especially suitable for sintered bearings.
Its a high strength retaining compound. Not inexpensive
1716138224971.png

Available on Amazon
BOB RENTON

Report an issue with this product or seller

Thanks again for all the loctite recommendations. 603 or 609 seems the way to go. I've added loctites chart, any preferences over one or the other?

Screenshot_20240519-110200_Chrome.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back