• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct PS mount for 67 GTX with AC and TRW pump.

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:17 AM
Reaction score
I’ve realized after 20 years of ownership that I’m lacking the back-side bracket on my PS pump. It’s mounted with just the front bracket piece. It has a TRW pump. I’ve found several 66-69 bracket sets for the 440 with TRW pump like the one below from Classic. Mega Parts seems to sell the same thing. Both say it’s not for an AC car.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1967/plymouth/satellite/parts/md2196.html

My current pump/bracket aligns just fine with my crank pulley.

So what am I dealing with here? Is there a different TRW bracket that is intended for AC?

I’ll try to get a better picture of it than what I currently have.

Pictures of what I have now.

IMG_2044.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg
IMG_2042.jpeg

Any idea what bracket I need?

I couldn’t make much out of the parts manual. Unless someone comes up with the answer I may just fabricate a strap to swing off the water pump bolt pivot and catch the bolt on the rear of the pump can and call it good. Everything lines up good and it seems pretty secure with just the front bracket so adding a rear strap should just make it all the more so.

Is this what you're looking for?
20240506_202842.jpg
20240506_202852.jpg

I have another style of power steering pump bracket for BB with TRW pump. It is stamped steel 2-piece unit that looks nothing like the one pictured. It came off an A/C car. I will take a picture tomorrow. I had to swap it out for one like the one pictured, to mount the Sanden compressor for Vintage Air conversion.
This P/S pump bracket came off a 1964 Chrysler 413 with factory A/C that I used to have in my '64 Polara. I dunno, might be a Canada thing.

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0011.JPG

DSCF0012.JPG

Last edited:
I have another style of power steering pump bracket for BB with TRW pump. It is stamped steel 2-piece unit that looks nothing like the one pictured. It came off an A/C car. I will take a picture tomorrow. I had to swap it out for one like the one pictured, to mount the Sanden compressor for Vintage Air conversion.

I’m assuming what I’m using is one piece of a 2-piece mount (missing the rear piece). I would not think adding the rear piece would affect the pulley alignment and I don’t see how the AC itself could get in the way.

Bill, the PS003 one for a TRW pump says w/o AC. Were you seeing a different one?
Yep, I completely missed that .

Also, a few years back I restored a 1968 Charger for a guy.
We used a 1968 440 engine assy that was out of a New Yorker with air

When I tried to mount the power steering pump we had ( dont remember the type or what it was off of ) it would NOT go over the bosses on the water pump.
I had to get a water pump from a different engine that was narrower to allow the PS pump to mount.

I think I found the difference. On an AC car the lower compressor brace fits under the front PS brace where it pivots on the boss in the pump/timing chain cover. Without the AC brace the PS pulley would sit behind the corresponding groove on the crank pulley.

I may just have to buy the two piece bracket for the TRW pump and use the rear brace from it.

Edit: Doesn’t look like the two piece rear bracket will work either. I reaches around to the 2 bosses on the front of pump which means it won’t reach to the rear pivot point on the water pump housing pivot boss. Maybe they didn’t use a rear strap with AC.

Last edited:
Real question is....is that one of those crappy Quanta repro belts on there? If so get it off there stat! Lost my PS belt, which in turn took out my Alt belt, on my Charger on the way home from Carlisle one year....

Yes, it is. Got rid of the others but this one seemed to settle in and run fine. The water pump shredded its belt and then a replacement Gates belt, and took out both AC belts about 8 or 9 years ago. This PS belt was the sole survivor. Went to Daytona top cog belts after that and haven’t gotten around to this one. They do have a crappy reputation.

Auto Transport Service
Back