• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Source for re-chroming bumpers.

Agree on Tri-City. They did my bumpers 10 years ago and they still look great.

The new bumpers are thinner metal, cheap chrome and often wavy and imperfect. They are OK for a driver level car, but if you want really nice, IMHO you need to rechrome originals by a quality outfit.
"The new bumpers are thinner metal, cheap chrome and often wavy and imperfect"

I totally agree. That's why I never replaced mine.
Never had them re-chromed, either. If I did, I'd lose my 1972 coledge parking stickers ;-(

Hey GTX440, I have an original 71 GTX rear bumper that is real nice and doesn't need chromed if you have a need or know someone. I'm in Ohio

Charlie,
Bumper Boyz used to be excellent. I've heard they're not as good as they once were but have not had a personal experience in over a decade. I will say that all my friends with Corvettes that USED to use them, now go to Librandies and dont look back. I have had Librandies do a bunch of stuff for me in recent years and it is without a doubt, SHOW QUALITY, PERFECT!
I have heard nothing but good reviews about Tri City but have not used them personally.

Do these rechome places also knock out dents or do any straightening, or are they strictly plating?

I used Tri-City, beautiful chrome, no issues.

Bumper Boys used to be at all the shows, anyone have a opinion on them?
They did the front bumper of my 64 25-30 years ago and after installing it I saw what looked like "hair" around the bolts. I ran my finger over it and sliced my finger right open. The chrome had cracked where the bolts were. I peeled off a large section then. I call "Carlos" and told him and he said yeah that happens when you over tighten them. I told him no way cause I can tighten with an impact on an Original and I should not be able to peel strips of chrome away like tape. He said well it probably was cleaned well before chroming send it back. About 2 weeks later I got another one and that one seems ok but honestly as soon as the lock washers started to collapse I just stopped tightening the bolts. Tri-City ever since.

Do these rechome places also knock out dents or do any straightening, or are they strictly plating?
Tri-City does repair and straightening. Give them a call and explain your requirements.

If you look through my past postings, you will find bumper before and after pics.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back