• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 thermostat

pthomas86

Local time
9:06 AM
Reaction score
Hi, i have a 71 roadrunner with a 383 I recently got from my uncle. Its been sitting for 7 years and hasnt ran in that period of time. Im going through it and refreshing it and updating it. Can anyone recommend to me what thermostat I should be using? i see 160, 180, 190, 195, etc. Im from maryland and get a wide variety of ambient temp. Thank you for any help.

P.S... if anyone knows what spark plug gap i should be running on the 383 with a 6pack and big cam, that would be appreciated as well.

My 69 RR runs a 180 degree w/a 26 in 3 core C body radiator (fits really nice with the little trimming on bracket) almost identical to the big $$$ 26 "Hemi" one. Also a new clutch fan, shroud, aluminum housing and pump. Never goes over 180.
What ignition system are you using ?
Stock?, (MP electronic), .35-.40,

My 69 RR runs a 180 degree w/a 26 in 3 core C body radiator (fits really nice with the little trimming on bracket) almost identical to the big $$$ 26 "Hemi" one. Also a new clutch fan, shroud, aluminum housing and pump. Never goes over 180.
What ignition system are you using ?
Stock?, (MP electronic), .35-.40,

Thanks for getting back to me. It appears to have stock radiator and fan. It has an orange box ignition. I dont know much about it but i see the orange box on the firewall. I got some autolite spark plugs for it and I gapped them to .35 . Just want to make sure that is correct.

Ouch, the dreaded orange box. Many on this site will tell you to ditch it. I've personally gone through 3 of them. Make sure its grounded well, I currently have a Jegs (USA) made on now.At least go to your local auto store n get a cheap spare. goes without saying, flush the system out real good.

Ouch, the dreaded orange box. Many on this site will tell you to ditch it. I've personally gone through 3 of them. Make sure its grounded well, I currently have a Jegs (USA) made on now.At least go to your local auto store n get a cheap spare. goes without saying, flush the system out real good.

Thank you. I appreciate the help

.035" is the correct spark plug gap. I believe a 180-degree thermostat is stock. I ran an older orange box for many years (good chance that's what you have). I've heard that the newer orange boxes are less reliable, but I wouldn't just replace it. Just be aware that if all of a sudden you have no spark, it's the 2nd thing to look at after the ballast resistor (small white block on firewall with 4 wires plugged into it next to voltage regulator). Ballast resistors burn out a lot.

Oh yeah, and that's one hell of an uncle you have! Does he have any more Mopars laying around? Is he looking to adopt a middle-aged kid? I'm house broke. :)

.035" is the correct spark plug gap. I believe a 180-degree thermostat is stock. I ran an older orange box for many years (good chance that's what you have). I've heard that the newer orange boxes are less reliable, but I wouldn't just replace it. Just be aware that if all of a sudden you have no spark, it's the 2nd thing to look at after the ballast resistor (small white block on firewall with 4 wires plugged into it next to voltage regulator). Ballast resistors burn out a lot.

Oh yeah, and that's one hell of an uncle you have! Does he have any more Mopars laying around? Is he looking to adopt a middle-aged kid? I'm house broke. :)

Thanks! i got a 160 degree for it. I think im gonna try and run that and see how it goes. Yes i seen the ballast resistor. I already got a spare one. I heard they go bad a lot and should always carry one in the glovebox lol. I have been bugging my uncle for years for this car. But it does need a lot of work. The rust has gotten a good hold of it but it can be fixed so thats fine with me. Its been sitting for 7 years without running it and he finally decided to give it to me.

Auto Transport Service
Back