• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Wire Looms

RoadRunning

Local time
5:51 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1970 Road Runner with a 383 engine. I need to route my spark plug wires nicely off the engine. What are some good wire looms that work well? How do I bolt them to the valve covers? Do I need longer bolts? I did purchase the Mopar universal looms P5007481 but now that i received it I see some brackets have 3 some have 4, some have 5, different size holder etc. I just need a good loom that will hold the larger spark plu wires and have 4 slots on the separator. Any suggestions? Please detail how to bolt it off the engine. Thank you!

I'm no expert on this, but you can use the factory style looms (work well) IF you have stock diameter (7mm?) plug wires and stock exhaust manifolds. I believe some of the stock looms go on valve cover bolts and at least one goes on the front side of the head (like where your negative battery cable connects). You should be able to find pictures on line, or better yet, someone with a factory-stock 383 Road Runner might post some pics for you. I also believe aftermarket stock wire looms are made.

Having said all that, and having headers myself, Moroso makes a decent aftermarket wire loom set like what you describe. I've used a Moroso set in the past. (I don't care about being "stock") What I found is that you can mix & match the 3/4/5 slot looms as necessary & you don't have to use every slot on every holder. They work pretty well. I also noticed that since I'm running 8mm plug wires (a little bigger than stock), I had to take an exacto knife and trim the tiny little tabs off inside the wire slots to let the 8mm wires fit without cutting them up on the tiny plastic tabs.

Overall, the key for me was to just route the wires wherever they needed to go & keep them away from the headers. A couple wires needed straight plug ends, most needed the 90-degree angle ends, and one needed a Mopar screw-in "any angle" end to clear the headers. I do tend to keep my old wire sets in case I need an end or two for a new set of wires and I believe you can buy individual ends at part stores. Hope this helps.

p.s. I do have a zip tie or two on my car where I need to keep the wires out & away from the headers & don't want them to "wiggle in". I've melted a few wires over the years.

Thanks for the response. I do have headers also on my engine as well as 8mm plugs i believe. That is a good tip on the exacto knife. I will check out the moroso set. Really I need a set that will bring them above the engine as opposed to just the separaters themselves, need one one that will bolt on to raise it up. That is why i liked the universal mopar set because it had the bolts to raise the wires but it is a little too "universal" fitting too many different applications, has looms with two slots, three slots, 7mm 8mm, etc. Not sure best set out there for my application.

Zipties man zipties...

IMG_0939[1].JPG IMG_0932[1].JPG

R&M Specialties makes really nice application specific looms. AKA other than Chevy only. You can get different colors and the best part is the insulator/separation blocks are made from a plastic. Nothing is as dopey as separating your wires to cut down on crossfire issues then hooking them together with metal blocks.

R&M Specialties makes really nice application specific looms. AKA other than Chevy only. You can get different colors and the best part is the insulator/separation blocks are made from a plastic. Nothing is as dopey as separating your wires to cut down on crossfire issues then hooking them together with metal blocks.

I went with the R&M Specialties Wire Looms and they worked out great. Thanks!

For sale wire holders factory for the big blocks. All factory
5.00 a PC
Pm me

I went with the R&M Specialties Wire Looms and they worked out great. Thanks!

I'm using the factory HP manifolds and they sit really far above the valve covers. I'm concerned how the r&m loom will mount and get it above.

Auto Transport Service
Back