• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 source heads, check this out!

mentor70

Local time
12:32 PM
Reaction score
First off, ive had Indy SRs, and Edelbrock RPMs in the past, and didnt have issues with them out of the box, but i didnt know any better. (i was lucky)

if i were running ANY other aftermarket head in this build, id be doing the same thing, im not picking on 440 source heads, its just what i bought this time around.

Anyway, bought these heads bare last November, fulling knowing stuff like this was going to come up with the experiences ive gained over the years.

First off, 440 source would NOT tell me EXACTLY who they source their valves from, so i didnt want them, and if you upgrade valve springs and retainers, they want you to re-buy them even though you ALREADY bought them, and of course they charger you to swap out the right parts you bought (again) for the parts you bought the first time that dont match the cam you want to run.

next, Hughes engines had a sale on CNC porting last December, so i decided to send them out, Hughes stated recently that the heads were around 84 CCs out of the box, not the 80 CCs advertised.

when i got the heads back, i took them to my local machine shop for final assembly, and inspection.

at this time the combustion chambers were checked again, now at 90 CCs after the CNC port work!!!

they are so big now that running them like this would yield NO advantage performance wise, other than weight savings.

my cam requires 10.5 compression, so milling them to 78 CCs was mandatory.

now this is where it gets good, i know many have bought these heads, and Edelbrocks, Pro comps and the like...and just threw them on and went, but they really need to be blue printed before they are installed.

the pix show my heads as a VERY light cut was taken, and it revealed a .004 low spot on both heads, wow, but i was expecting this!...yep not surprised at all.

.050 had to be removed from both heads to correct the compression to make my engine 10.5 to 1.

if you just throw parts on out of the box, dont be surprised if your engine is less than peppy!

this has been public service announcement from Dirty Mormon Racing, thank you. received_400557783464176.jpgreceived_400557813464173.jpgreceived_400596013460353.jpgreceived_400557783464176.jpgreceived_400557813464173.jpgreceived_400596013460353.jpg.

thanks, unlucky.

i got my 440 source heads a while back sent them straight for cnc porting etc. and everything works perfect here.

Taking the first .035 to .045 off will get you to the casting tabs on the bottom of the head (the outside has 2 and the inside has 1) This will now put you in line of what a stock head thickness would be.
They advertise 80cc's + or- 5% so that's within the advertised spec.
I have these heads and agree with what you are saying, but I also think all heads should be checked before putting on.
By the way, on my heads one had .035 taken off and the other had .045 taken off to get 75cc. They are by no means bolt on ready.

I have a set on the 440 I'm doing right now, came with the 67 GTS (Horrible noises)
Hmm, I hope they are okay but they look great to me!

all in all, im sure these will work great with my roller Lunati Voodoo cam and Holley HP 850. gonna be one hot 440.

my machinist thought these heads are great quality for the money, there are deff alot worse product out there.

I don't fell as bad for spending $900 to rebuild my 915 heads now. I was told it was going to cost $700 and when it came in at $900 I thought I should have bought a set of 440 source heads but I would have just bolted them on and went. I'm glad I didn't now.

I have a set of them and just bolted them on my 493, they work fine all I did was route out the push rod holes a bit more as recommended. I'm not racing and just cruising around with an occasional romp and freeway blast.

Using the same springs and valves, guides and retainers OTB lol felpro head gasket underneath them all seems good ow leaks compression good. Looking forward to having them worked for the additional 100 hp you can supposedly get out of them :) For the budget builder these are a good deal. I can only imagine sending them out and then getting them back just find most of the aluminum had been worked away lmao so much so they are now not usable? sounds like a refund is in order?

I don't fell as bad for spending $900 to rebuild my 915 heads now. I was told it was going to cost $700 and when it came in at $900 I thought I should have bought a set of 440 source heads but I would have just bolted them on and went. I'm glad I didn't now.

I have often said that if you take a set of iron heads to a competent shop you are done. But any aftermarket head is built in a production environment, which will require you spend more money to get them right. So not that much of a savings after all. Call it a "cylinder head kit." The advantage is if you are trying to make serious power they are a much better start. The only thing these aftermarket heads have going for them is the port and chamber design.

Bingo! ^^^^^

All the work and complaints in this thread is the basic give me of after market parts.
The Hughes web site tell you (IIRC) that after there CNC work is done the heads will have *** chamber size. They also offer killing to reduce the size to your wants/needs.

I had my small block heads done by them and requested a certain cc larger than what was left after there CNC work.

A couple of shops are offering the same casting as what Jegs sells as the Pro Maxx head. It's a copy of the Edelbrock RPM but it's actually supposed to be a better casting than the Edelbrock.

The shops go through them and set them up with good valves, lock, retainers, and springs to match your cam. Unported go for a little over $1000 and bowl-blended go for $1400 or so. I've seen flow sheets and even the unported ones flow a little better than the Edelbrocks and the bowl-blended ones flow much better than the Edelbrocks. This is the way I am leaning right now.

A couple of shops are offering the same casting as what Jegs sells as the Pro Maxx head. It's a copy of the Edelbrock RPM but it's actually supposed to be a better casting than the Edelbrock.

The shops go through them and set them up with good valves, lock, retainers, and springs to match your cam. Unported go for a little over $1000 and bowl-blended go for $1400 or so. I've seen flow sheets and even the unported ones flow a little better than the Edelbrocks and the bowl-blended ones flow much better than the Edelbrocks. This is the way I am leaning right now.

I saw the CPPA heads at mopar spring fling, they looked real nice.

http://chryslerpower.com/webstore/Big-Block-Aluminum-Heads

- - - Updated - - -

heres some other cylinder head ****:

Attachments

• 20150108_140015_resized.jpg
    20150108_140015_resized.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 412
  • 20150108_140003_resized.jpg
    20150108_140003_resized.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 391
  • 20150108_135959_resized.jpg
    20150108_135959_resized.jpg