• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 6-Way Seat Track - Roller/Ball Bearing Removal?

PurpleBeeper

Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
I’m trying to restore a 70 6-way bucket seat frame. I’ve watched the online videos, but the 6-way seat tracks are different from the standard bucket seat tracks in the videos. I can tell my little “ball bearing roller cages” are messed up because the tracks have some side-to-side play. How do I get these out (& replace them)? Has anyone done this? I can see the “ball bearing roller cages”, but it doesn’t look like just straightening the bent corner of the track will let them out. Any ideas?

IMG_5159.jpeg

IMG_5160.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg

IMG_5162.jpeg

When you bolt it to the floor and hold the brackets in place then will it behave properly?

Are you really sure that you want to take it apart? Clean and lube it if you can. It doesn't look like it sat outside for 50 years in the weather. I had a regular set of bucket seats, they were so rusted and pitted, I chose to replace the tracks. Sandblasted the rest and repainted.

When you bolt it to the floor and hold the brackets in place then will it behave properly?
I’m not sure yet. I have not installed it yet. I just would like to have it in top shape before I do install it

Are you really sure that you want to take it apart? Clean and lube it if you can. It doesn't look like it sat outside for 50 years in the weather. I had a regular set of bucket seats, they were so rusted and pitted, I chose to replace the tracks. Sandblasted the rest and repainted.
I’ve put about 12 hrs of work into it so far. It was rusty, seized and bent when I got it (side swipe accident?)

If all else fails with your seat tracks, and you care to switch to regular bucket tracks, I got my reproduction tracks from Josh's muscle car parts. They come from PG Classics out of Canada. There is a small issue with the passenger side track, but very easy fix. I am happy with them. Contact me for the fix if you end up going that direction.
Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back