• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 gears

kelly

Local time
3:55 PM
Reaction score
I put a dana 60 and 255 60 r15 on my car. The speedo is way off. How do I go about setting it to the right speed reading. I have a stock 727 push button trans.

Is the new rear end a different ratio than the original? There's a gear that drives the speedometer cable in the tailshaft of your torqueflite. One bolt and the cover comes off and you can pull out the gear. They come in different colours like this:
speedo gears.jpgspeedo-chart.jpg

Is the new rear end a different ratio than the original? There's a gear that drives the speedometer cable in the tailshaft of your torqueflite. One bolt and the cover comes off and you can pull out the gear. They come in different colours like this:
View attachment 234301View attachment 234302
the cable transmissions take a different type speedo pinion. not easy to find.

The new rear end is a different gear ratio. Not sure what it was, but I think it was a 273.

If you want to know for sure what speedo gear to use you are going to have to know your rear end ratio. Once you are positive what gears you have I suggest that you call Pat Blais Transmission in Seattle at 206-365-1966. There isn't anything he doesn't know about Torqueflites, especially the early ones, and he's a good guy.

Compare your speedo to a GPS, and calculate the percentage of error. Then, see what drive gear your have now, and use the same percentage to determine which gear you need as a replacement. If you need the speedo to read faster, use a smaller gear. Also, depending on the number of teeth, there are different positions for the speedometer cable adapter in the transmission to achieve the proper gear mesh with the transmission gear.

I called the number you sent and it's a fax number. got a good number?
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I need a 62-65 gear. It's a lot shorter then these.

- - - Updated - - -

The gear out of mine is a short one and 17 tooth. I'm needing a 20 tooth.

Last edited:
OK thanks I'm hoping he has what I need. 1962-65 20 tooth.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back