• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Torque Converter

Beavis

Local time
1:28 PM
Reaction score
where can i find a stock torque converter for my 69 belvedere ?

its a stock 1968 440HP 4 barrel with 3:23 rear and stock cam.

I'd go with a quality aftermarket vendor. You can get a good "stock" style converter from most of the good aftermarket suppliers. A quality converter makes an incredible difference in vehicle performance. Low quality pieces don't provide the best results or durability.

I went with the Hughes 11 inch 2500 stall on my stock 440 recently. All the major converter fabricators seem to have good and bad stories about them. Hughes seemed to fair as good as any of the others and the prices seemed reasonable. Most of the custom ones were about twice as much and really oriented more towards higher stall, competition converters. Doing it over I might have instead gone with their 2000 stall as this one is a bit loose at low speed and part throttle. It's taking a little getting use to the engine roar at low speed. But give it some gas and it does let the engine do it's thing.

the torque converter i have now says 359 / 22-9
when i put the car in gear, it jumps into gear very quickly and wants to run !! i dont want to have a race converter in this car. its an adam 12 cop car.
any thoughts ???

I have to say all of the race converters I've had bump right into gear and want to move the car, that includes my highest stall style, & they move the car immediately. If it doesn't seems something is wrong.

It does. I'm not looking to race. Is this the wrong converter for me?

It does. I'm not looking to race. Is this the wrong converter for me?
I sure don't know. Seems like you should feel it go into gear immediately. Is the trans in good shape? My race converters don't "wind up" before the car is moving.

I'm not really clear on how it drives. You put it into gear and the car immediately wants to set off, am I right? Maybe idle is set too high?

How does the converter drive? Is it loose / slip a lot at low rpm or is it tight from the get go?

if you feel like driving down to NJ I have a stock convertor you can have. It's for a 67 big block but will run fine with your setup. I'm not shipping it though the thing is heavy!

and check your trans fluid level. Shifter in neutral, warmed up. Idle speed at 800rpm or less.

no slipping, it runs great, just jumps into gear like a race car. when its cold it stalls when i put it in gear until it warms up.

I really don't think your issue is the converter. Most times when a car jumps into gear like that, the idle is set too high. You say it jumps into gear like a race car, but ironically race cars don't jump into gear because they typically have higher stall converters that slip at idle and lower rpm. Put a drag car into gear and most times you wouldn't even know it at idle because that loose converter slips until you hit the gas and come off idle.

the big question is does your car have a big cam in it or something mild / stockish? Big cams need converters that are a little looser or they'll push the car at idle too. So imho, another stock type converter will probably just exhibit the same issue.

i was told it was a stock-ish cam

Stock-type converters are the tigtest converters down near idle, so it's safe to guess that that's what's in there. Converters sure do fail but when they do, ive never heard of them tightening up as a result, mostly they just slip all to hell or worse.

So I still dont think this is a trans issue. I bet it's in the carb. There is something happening that makes your motor unable to overcome the low idle. Here's where I'd look...

1) In park, what's the idle rpm when warm?

2) What does it drop to when in gear (warm)?

3) if those are set reasonably, next thing to look at is vacuum. Spray some ether around the carb to check for vac leaks. If the engine surges, you found the leak.

4) If nothing, get a vacuum gauge and monitor vacuum. if you get to that point and find wacky readings, that's another discussion.

the torque converter i have now says 359 / 22-9
when i put the car in gear, it jumps into gear very quickly and wants to run !! i dont want to have a race converter in this car. its an adam 12 cop car.
any thoughts ???
If you're saying that it bangs into gear, here's a diagnosis from the 1970 shop manual:
upload_2017-5-14_7-47-9.png

If you're saying that it bangs into gear, here's a diagnosis from the 1970 shop manual:
View attachment 423166

I was just going to post the same page from my 69 manual. :thumbsup:

Now some of the possible causes listed here in the FSA are pretty intimidating / catastrophic... remember just check the simple things first before assuming the trans has to be yanked lol.

IMG_4881.JPG IMG_4879.JPG

Agree with all sounds to me like carb settings need redone. If they're right you shouldn't stall cold when put in gear&& you should be able to drive away right away(choke&choke pull-off settings! If all is right there is no need for a 2-3min warmup before driving.

Auto Transport Service
Back