• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know factory correct fasteners for '72 ThermoQuad?

Dibbons

Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
Does the 1972 factory 340 ThermoQuad come originally with four bolts mounting it to the intake manifold without washers or was it two studs/nuts/washers and two bolts (no washers)? Or was it some other combination? Thank you.

4 small head bolts. I do t know if there were washers. Mine didn’t have any washers. Use the stock “thick” gasket under the carb.

I can be wrong but I think they are 4 studs and 7/16" nuts with washers EVEN the correct size for the nuts with the stud thicknes should be 1/2". The 7/16" nuts are just right for clearence. I found this on a barelly touched ( can't say survivor ) Charger with TQ I worked once to help a friend

OK, we are getting conflicting reports here, so I will have to wait and see who comments next!

I only told you what I took off my untouch survivor car. But it has been so freakin long as to remember what year it was. (IIRC, a ‘78/400 Chrysler Cordoba?) Perhaps, both were used? Personally I don’t that I do but that doesn’t mean squat!

Don't know about 72, but in 73, no washers and used 1/2 inch bolts with factory 340, this picture is on a untouched car. My 73 also had same bolts and recently was able to find the originals in my stock of old parts!
DSC03432.JPG

That foto is convincing enough for me, I will agree to go for four bolts and no washers. Thank you.

The one interesting thing about this picture, is the build date for the car. It was built in November of 1972, mine was built in April of 73 and used the same bolts.

I think the manual parts catalog should get the exact info. I have the 74 one, but the diagram doesn't show these labeled to be searched on the text section. It must be found digging into the manual.

After looking over my parts stash, I found this '68 340 manifold with Carter AVS did have the 1/8" insulator (not saying it was factory installed) with 1 1/4" bolts with "TR" on the head of the bolt. These bolts I have then should work OK. (ThermoQuad insulator on left, AVS insulator on right in foto)

DSC03923.JPG

I can confirm as Nacho said, studs and nuts as picture shows. Mine before placement in engine bay.
Click on full image and zoom in.
DSCN0231.JPG

The question is whether or not bolts or studs were used on small block, the picture shows big block. So was there a difference on hardware for big block versus small block.

Auto Transport Service
Back