• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B&M Flexplate 10242 discontinued, why?

SublimeSixpack

Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know why the B&M 10242 flexplate was discontinued? I know there's a new number for the application, but I have the 10242 and am curious as to why it was actually discontinued.
Anyone know the difference between the 10242 and the (current numbered) 10236?

It might help if you told us what the heck it is supposed to fit. It could be for a Volkswagen for all I know! :eek:

Everything that I've seen shows the 10242 is for a 360 from 1993-1999, while the 10236 fits 1971-1992. Different balance?

Since I posted this in the Engine, Trans. and Driveline Section I figured there would be someone that perhaps would be familiar with the flexplates I mentioned in my post, and be able to offer some insight.
Both the B&M 10242 and 10236 flexplates based on information I've found are after-market flexplates that allow one to use a non-weighted torque converter with the externally balanced 360 engine with the two piece rear main seal.
Based on what little information I was able to find, it would seem that the 10236 is a replacement for the 10242. I'm just curious why the 10242 is (for the most part) N/A but the 10236 is.
Thank you Photon440 and Rumblefish for your civil responses.
Kern Dog, if you're going to be rude, crude, critical and sarcastic in response to any of my posts, here's a thought, simply don't respond.

One other thing that I noticed was weight. The older number is shown to weigh 5.5 lbs, while the newer one is an even 4 lbs. Maybe it was modified to be slightly thinner for some reason. What does yours weigh?

it could be that b&m is using a different vendor/supplier. a lot of businesses will change the part number when they change suppliers even if the product is the same.

Kern Dog, if you're going to be rude, crude, critical and sarcastic in response to any of my posts, here's a thought, simply don't respond.

You must not appreciate smart people with personality. When I ask for help, I don't write in Spanish. I don't leave out information that matters. Make it easy for people to help and you will have much better luck getting it.
415 posts in 6 years and you want to be critical of how it is done here?
A lack of intellect or a sense of humor is a very sad thing.
Oh, the MAGNUM series of Mopar engines use a different balance factor than the LA series. That is why they have a different flexplate.
See? If you wrote the engine in the first post, you would have had my help without my wit. You got lucky though and got both.

Looks like we have an answer worthy of consideration.

Now please, no more flaming each other here. :)

One other thing that I noticed was weight. The older number is shown to weigh 5.5 lbs, while the newer one is an even 4 lbs. Maybe it was modified to be slightly thinner for some reason. What does yours weigh?

According to the small scale I have in the shop my 10242 flexplate weighs in at 3 Lbs.

Everything that I've seen shows the 10242 is for a 360 from 1993-1999, while the 10236 fits 1971-1992. Different balance?

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I ran across similar info. on the 10242 and 10236 numbers.
FWIW I bought four flexplates all for a 360 engine from a seller. The seller led me to believe that the B&M 10242 was for the LA 360, and info. I found on Summit Racing's site backed that up. It was incorrect info.
But no problem, I know a guy that's into 360 Magnum swaps, he'll be able to use it. And I can use the other three that I know are for the LA 360.

Auto Transport Service
Back