• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best sure grip for a street strip dana project?

RT K_line

Local time
1:48 PM
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a truck dana and modifying it for my car. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row so I can compare cost. I checked on a S60 and it came to 2600 without shipping. That's out of my budget right now so when I looked into a truck dana it seems many are going that route. With the track in the area I found a shop that most people are using for diff work. I just want to have as much info on what I want/need to get a price from them. Thanks in advance for your input.
Ken

I'm thinking of getting a truck dana and modifying it for my car. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row so I can compare cost. I checked on a S60 and it came to 2600 without shipping. That's out of my budget right now so when I looked into a truck dana it seems many are going that route. With the track in the area I found a shop that most people are using for diff work. I just want to have as much info on what I want/need to get a price from them. Thanks in advance for your input.
Ken

What options on the S60? A few years ago when I bought mine with spool, I think it was just under $2,000?
Summit shows the PRSL05 with tru-track for $2,285.97?

I think you need the car axle tubing ends that match the axle bearings and brake backing plate you plan to use.
Then the car style axles and bearings.
Not sure which differential is best? How is the car going to be used?
You can get Mechanical locker, air locker, electric locker, Helical gear LSD, and Clutch type LSD.
On the Helical gear type, I think you can get different torque bias ratios depending on application?

What options on the S60? A few years ago when I bought mine with spool, I think it was just under $2,000?

I think you need the car axle tubing ends that match the axle bearings and brake backing plate you plan to use.
You can get Mechanical locker, air locker, electric locker, Helical gear LSD, and Clutch type LSD.
On the Helical gear type, I think you can get different torque bias ratios depending on application?
I believe that option is without powder coating $300 option, and truck freight which is another $300. Mine was a hair over 3 grand delivered to my door with 4.10 s trac, no powder coating, chromoly yoke and aluminum strange cover from dr diff

Detroit truetrac. purchased complete unit from Mosers with 3.54 gears, Mopar ends so I could use my backing plates. Ready to bolt in car $2800

Is the Detroit tru trac the same as a Detroit Locker If not what is the difference?

I picked the minimal options on Dr diff site. With a Detroit locker. The car is mostly street driven with some track time a few times a year but would be at the track more with a Dana for sure. Just spit balling here but I'm thinking a housing, ends, perches, for under 500, and may come with a limited slip that might allow me to use the stock axles for now. That leaves the gears at around 250. Not sure yet about upgraded axle cost yet. If I can get it done for 1500 or less I'm good.

"Is the Detroit tru trac the same as a Detroit Locker If not what is the difference?"
I have Danas with Lockers in both my cars. From Dr Diff.

I borrowed the following words from another site.

The TrueTrac doesn't have clutches.
It uses worm gears rather than spider/side gears/clutches found in Eatons.
It is said to be more street friendly than a locker due to a softer engagement/dis-engagement. A drawback is some "slop" on accel/decel/coast. It results in a slight clunking as the "play" is taken up. This just may be the nature of it.

A Locker has a set of discs/pucks with flat square teeth cut into the face of each.
These "disks" push together and lock into each other to connect the 2 axles while going straight. When you turn or pull into a parking spot, the "disks" disengage and can cause a "racheting" sound as the teeth pass across each other as well as some "lunging". Once you straighten out the "disks" "click" back together. This is said to be the strongest diff without going to a full spool.

This is my order for Tru Trac S60 3.54 powder coated black with aluminum cast diff cover and setup with snap ring green bearings for use with my 12.19 wilwoods. This includes shipping.

s60.jpg

"Is the Detroit tru trac the same as a Detroit Locker If not what is the difference?"
I have Danas with Lockers in both my cars. From Dr Diff.

I borrowed the following words from another site.

The TrueTrac doesn't have clutches.
It uses worm gears rather than spider/side gears/clutches found in Eatons.
It is said to be more street friendly than a locker due to a softer engagement/dis-engagement. A drawback is some "slop" on accel/decel/coast. It results in a slight clunking as the "play" is taken up. This just may be the nature of it.

A Locker has a set of discs/pucks with flat square teeth cut into the face of each.
These "disks" push together and lock into each other to connect the 2 axles while going straight. When you turn or pull into a parking spot, the "disks" disengage and can cause a "racheting" sound as the teeth pass across each other as well as some "lunging". Once you straighten out the "disks" "click" back together. This is said to be the strongest diff without going to a full spool.

The Detroit Trutrac does not have slop on accel/decel, nor do they have a clunk, they are a torsen style diff, popular in a variety of factory cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back