• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Camshaft Nitriding

GTXperience

Local time
9:00 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone had their flat tappet camshaft nitride infused? I am thinking about having this done for the 408 in order to increase the case hardness and lobe surface lubricity (is that really a word?). Comp will charge me an additional $105 on top of their custom grind fee. I have flattened my share of solids in the past and am seriously considering this. I would just like to hear from those who have had it done and also from anyone with pros/cons. TIA.

I'm wondering if the problem with the cam going flat is not because of lack of hardness but break in method. If the cam profile is such that it requires a lot of spring pressure then I think it is recommended that it be broke in with the single outer spring only, then after so many hours of run time you put in the inners. Pain in the *** I know, but kind of makes sense. Anyone heard anything similar to this? Maybe you are doing this and still have problems? Anyway, just thought this might help.

He isn't here but no, not rollers. Schubecks have a ceramic cap on the bottom which supposedly won't wear a cam. You can (supposedly) run these same lifters on multiple cams without problems.

All that said......a friend tried them in a Hemi, and the ceramic cap came off one lifter and shot through the motor like a bullet. Interestingly it did little real damage, but it did wipe the cam.

why not go roller if its costing more anyway? cam profile could be much more beneficial.

The Schubecks were (at the time) considered a "stock replacement" hydraulic lifter, even taking in to consideration there is only a few thousandths travel in them.

But once again the powers that be changed their minds and have decided (at least the Mopars) can't run those lifters.

this only concerns a particular "stock" type event that required using flat tappets if that's what came from the factory

Get the lifter bores indexed...

I just read anm add by comp in mopar muscle, that said they are nitride infusing all of there flat tappet cams now.

Auto Transport Service
Back