• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't go anywhere anymore

HUH?? So any ethnic food can be served anywhere, but foods associated with 'white cooking' are going to be restricted to 'certain' venues?¿. Sounds racist to me! Sounds UN-Constitutional!!

Oh gimme a ******* break. So it's white people's fault "minorities" only eat chips and drink Hi-C.

And just who is paying for this fine research? Clue.....it's not the 50% of us that don't pay taxes!

I guess I'll have to ask for some collards, okra, and mustard greens next time I go to the market, just to keep it fair!

"San Diego State University geography professors Pascale Joassart-Marcelli and Fernando J. Bosco"

Key words..."California" and "Professors"

Why isn't there more whites on a basketball team?

More loony {code name for Democrat's Inner-shitty or Liberal} research :bs_flag:
that is now :wtf: racially sensitive & divisive indoctrination too... :realcrazy:

:drama: Talk about real divisive racism,
the previous 8 years have set US all back 50+ years,
now even in what food people choose, buy, eat or order...
Anything to carry on/proliferate Democrats blatant,
vote buying & self serving "identity politics nonsense"...

This **** is borderline insanity...

Last edited:
Point #1: I generally read the actual study paper before I believe the media's regurgitation. I've seen TONS of scientific articles twisted by the media for shock value - usually by exclusion of some detail or another.

For instance, the study may have specifically been to examine one or a series of farmer's markets in affluent, predominantly white neighborhoods that actually do have a hidden racist/economically redlining agenda; and whoever wrote this for the news wires (it's already been republished by other "journalists") omitted that context to ensure the article would stir up controversy.

For the record, I haven't been able to pull up the journal it was published in, or I would have read through it before guessing my way through the possibilities here.

Point #2: It could be that in the areas they studied, there really is an actual problem of affluent white neighborhoods pricing "undesirables" out of their local events - but, once again, the media's omission of the study's intention leaves us to draw our own "this study was done purely to piss us off" conclusions...

EDIT: Found the study. It's definitely a combination of Point #1 and #2 - the media omits the fact that the study specifically analyzes the growth of boutique farmers' markets cropping up in rich San Diego neighborhoods, while the same cannot be said for San Diego's ethnic enclaves: http://journals.openedition.org/metropoles/4970#tocto1n3

Point #2A: Pricing less fortunate people out of local events is a systemic problem of neighborhood design, accessible transportation, and local economics. An unaffordable farmer's market is not itself a cause of gentrification, it is a product of a neighborhood already designed to be inequitable.

Fixing a farmer's market isn't the solution to an area that actively trying to push a clever redlining doctrine. Fixing the neighborhood design, transportation in and out of said neighborhood, and economics is the solution. That, and boot out the rich racist city management that continues to maintain the gentrified status quo with whatever tricks they come up with.

But that goes to the core of systemic racism in this society where we ensure that the poor are given a hell of a time if they try to move forward in the system (made doubly so today thanks to technology).

Funny thing, overly militant HOA's tend to cause so called "slums" and "poor neighborhoods" by fining the living **** out of everyone in a "nice" neighborhood until nobody can keep up with the fines. The result? A decrepit neighborhood that nobody can afford to maintain. Everyone moves out, it becomes a wasteland, property values hit the ground, and in a few years, it's the new "poor neighborhood" for those who survived the mess and for those who can't afford anything better.

Point #3: Edit: Not the case, after I read the study.

-Kurt

Last edited:
What bothers me is it seems I can't do anything without being labeled racist these days, I've even been told my daily driver makes me look racist(96 cherokee with a 5" lift and mud tires). Now most saw don't worry about it, but look at the people "accused" of sexual harassment, they're guilty by Instagram post, and lose their jobs. Where does this crap stop? God only knows, and when can we as a society put this aside?

What bothers me is it seems I can't do anything without being labeled racist these days, I've even been told my daily driver makes me look racist(96 cherokee with a 5" lift and mud tires). Now most saw don't worry about it, but look at the people "accused" of sexual harassment, they're guilty by Instagram post, and lose their jobs. Where does this crap stop? God only knows, and when can we as a society put this aside?

This is America, where whatever is in vogue to be bitched about is labeled. Just tell the other person that they're acting like a NIMBY. Bonus points if they're a white NIMBY. Two can play the label game.

FYI, just about the only Mopar that doesn't label someone as a redneck is a Jeep. Just deal with it.

-Kurt

P.S.: I wouldn't go down that rabbit hole of negating sexual harassment claims. Way too many of them are real. Just because you don't see it or haven't been on the receiving end doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

FYI, I found the study:
http://journals.openedition.org/metropoles/4970#tocto1n3

Remember what I said about the media intentionally omitting details and/or context in order to make the study provocative? That's what happened here, and we're all falling for it. Those Rate My Professor comments even threw me off the track too.

It's unfortunate, as this study does a pretty good job of exposing how some San Diego "farmers' markets" are becoming kitsch cash cows - read on:

For starters:
  • The study examines farmers' markets within the City of San Diego exclusively (plus an emphasis on three specific markets).
  • The study specifically examines how some farmers' markets are being created by speculative organizations, using the markets to boost the perceived quality of life in already affluent areas and piggybacking off city assistance and money.
  • Apparently, some farmers' markets in less affluent areas are not really serving the community with local-grown content as much as they're thinly-veiled advocacy arms of the local wholesalers or retailers looking to increase profits.
None of this is mentioned in the news articles - these few additional details already paint an extremely different point of view for this study, wouldn't you say?

Take a look at these paragraphs from the research paper:

"Farmers’ markets are typically run by nonprofit organizations. However, a variety of organizational forms fall under the “not-for-profit” category, leading to much debate regarding the validity of such a term in describing some of the local actors. In recent years, the management of farmers’ markets has become increasingly centralized and commercialized, with a few organizations, including for-profits, managing up to five markets in the county...Many of these larger organizations engage in expensive advertising and public relations campaigns, collaborating with local business associations to gain support..."

"Like most nonprofits, organizations managing farmers’ markets depend on state assistance, including support from city governments, county agencies and state programs – an aspect rarely acknowledged. The city primarily provides assistance regarding street closing, traffic and safety, which is critical in densely populated urban areas. In many cases, the land where markets take place is publically owned and is made available at no cost or for a minimal fee....For instance, in San Diego, the Fresh Fund program was created to match (up to twenty dollars per month) residents’ use of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or formerly Food Stamps), Women Infant and Children (WIC), Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). Yet, only five markets participate in the program and less than one fifth currently accept EBT – the Electronic Benefit Transfer card that allows people to redeem government benefits electronically – suggesting that food security and affordability is not a priority..."

And in reference to the "Mercato" - a farmers' market in Little Italy:

While the Mercato boasts more than 140 vendors, less than 30 are certified farmers. The remaining vendors sell “artisan” foods (e.g., olives, sauces, breads, salt, spices and chocolate), prepared food and beverages, and specialty products (e.g., crafts, clothing, jewelry and tableware). In their weekly blog, market managers appeal to foodies and encourage shoppers to combine seasonal fresh produce with artisan foods and specialty ingredients sold at the market. For instance in September...recipes were provided for “pear marmalade with goat cheese and crackers”, “glazed chicken skewers”, and “Asian pear pizza with blue cheese, caramelized onions and walnut pesto”....Our research indicates that several of these producers are not located in San Diego County, do not grow food organically, and are far from affordable to people with limited income. Unlike in other markets, there are no efforts made to encourage connections with community gardens or other grassroots food initiatives..."

The point that these professors are trying to make is that the basic concept of a "farmers' market," namely, a way for communities to share fresh foods amongst residents and grow local economy - is being hijacked into kitschy and overpriced street boutiques by major regional food suppliers looking to increase their profits.

Honestly, I'll revise everything I've said up to now - this is a pretty in-depth study with a valid point, twisted beyond belief by a shock-loving media.

-Kurt

Last edited:
I haven't read the study, but the news headline seems off for my area (whites are a minority and we have a number of farmer's markets). I accept what the previous post says. Nevertheless, a couple of nut cases (if that is what they are) doesn't make the NSF bad. It is ridiculous to say that the NSF purposefully aims to fund liberal things or use any criteria other than those they state, scientific merit being one, broader impacts being another. The NSF looks to fund good science and to move science forward in the US. We depend on this to keep in ahead of other countries.

I haven't read the study, but the news headline seems off for my area (whites are a minority and we have a number of farmer's markets). A couple of nut cases (if that is what they are) doesn't make the NSF bad. It is ridiculous to say that the NSF purposefully aims to fund liberal things or use any criteria other than those they state, scientific merit being one, broader impacts being another. The NSF looks to fund good science and to move science forward in the US. We depend on this to keep in ahead of other countries.

Agreed, I was simply pointing out all the possibilities of this article - though it seems as if you're well up on the subject.

You'll see in my latest post (just above yours here), I located the study. It's nothing like the news article - in fact, it's a pretty good piece of local (San Diego) research.

-Kurt

P.S.: Scientific funding and program funding is absolutely critical, so long as the right projects are chosen - especially programs. Quite a few of the latter seem to survive despite being needlessly ineffective, based on outdated research, or fail to improve or evolve with their content (NHTSA, I'm looking at you).

Last edited:
Agreed, I was simply pointing out all the possibilities of this article - though it seems as if you're well up on the subject.

You'll see in my latest post (just above yours here), I located the study. It's nothing like the news article - in fact, it's a pretty good piece of local (San Diego) research.

-Kurt
Just saw it an modified my post above to acknowledge.

Borderline not being insane :realcrazy: It's all part of the big plan.

ALL NEWS REPORTED BY ANY MEDIA IS FOR RATINGS ONLY!!
They dont care about truth or a certain gender or a certain race. It's just ratings. We dont watch the news or the NFL here anymore. They're both scumfucks.
Agree.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back