• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cribbing blocks, has anyone used them?

Car Nut

Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
shrug.gif

CribbingBlock.jpg
Cribbing%20under%2048.jpg
fbc07d5f2df02a9262a1616a684c6bdf2090b9ca.jpg
100_0211.jpg

No, but they look solid enough. :thumbsup:

Nailed or screwed with construction adhesive if I were doing it.

I often thought about doing this but I seem to do OK on jack stands.

When moving 20 ton monoliths of granite by hand, cribbing is used along with offset weight rocking to increase the stacked height of the cribbing one thickness at a time. Not nailed. It's how Stonehenge was built.

I think I would drill through, in line, on each corner and run a bolt through top to bottom and they would be less likely to push out and collapse.

I was thinking of building them with left over gorilla glue and screwing them together like the first picture. I have 6 ton jack stands that I used when installing my exhaust, but the car rocked when sliding the pipes together.

I use them, nailed together. Used a large spade bit to drill 4- 1.5"holes 3/8" deep holes for jack stand legs to fit into them.

Always crib jackstands. Saves the concrete floor and gives the stand a larger base.
Is far as wooden ones each layer needs to cross the previous and lock into place if possible. No need for threw links.
If I ever get to concrete the shop floor there will be one set of removable pipe stands incorporated. If for no other reason than long term storage.

Yep all the time, I feel much safer using them! Made them out of 2x8s

Made a simple set of 4 in the 70's and only nailed them together. Basically, I just made a box using a recessed frame of 2x4's inside the box with the main box being 2x12's so there would be something for the tires to sit in and not roll off. They worked great but I loaned them to a buddy and never saw them again. Sorry of my life. Nothing gets loaned out anymore unless a deposit is made. Funny how no one borrows my stuff anymore :D

Yes I have made cribs to go under the front tires but you've gone way overboard. If a car weighs 1 1/2 tons that roughly 700 lbs a corner, a bit more on the front with the engine. If you use 2x6 on their side with stringers screwed to the ends you can stack them getting 5 1/2 inches of lift per crib. Rotate the cribs 90 degrees to put the stringers in an alternating position and screw two verticle pieces per crib to keep them aligned. The tops that go under the tires are made from drops with 2x2's screwed on top for tire stops.

Very effective. Both wood and composite dunnage are used for cribbing aircraft during recovery lifting operations and long term storage. Lots of airframes out in Davis-Monthan AFB are off the ground using them.

Auto Transport Service
Back