• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dana 60 Pinion Seal Question

Logan Hughes

Local time
11:17 PM
Reaction score
While I was having the machining work done on my 440 for my rebuild, I took the time to work on my Dana 60. I removed the cover plate, drained the fluid and replaced the cover gasket. Since I had a small leak at the pinion seal, I also replaced that and filled with Lucas 80W/90W lube. The weird thing is that my new pinion seal is leaking! Has anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Damn. Did you grease/oil the seal when you put the pinion yoke back in?

Thanks everyone for your comments. The seal contact surfaces looked good and I lubed the seal before installation. At least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! LOL! It seemed to me I did everything right but must have messed up somewhere. I think I'll check with one of our differential/gear shops and probably take it by. I'll let you know what I find out for future reference.

The spring that goes around the inside of the seal lip has fallen off...I always put a couple of dabs of silicone on the inside to hold it in place...
That would be my guess....

If the seal is good it's probably the yolk, if so a micro sleeve will fix it.

Cornfirm that the seal isn't leaking around the fit in the housing. They usually come with a sealant around the OD out of the package but I usually will put a thin coating of RTV around that even. Make sure the fit in the housing is good and clean before knocking the seal into place....

Make sure the breather is not plugged. If it can't breath, when the diff warms up and the air expands it will push the oil past the seal.

Even though seal new did you inspect inner area, could have had a defect.

See if its peeing between the yoke and the shaft. Thats another common spot to leak from. Pull it back off, clean the yoke and shaft splines to get contaminates off, put teflon paste on both the yoke and shaft, tighten it up. If there is a groove on the yoke from wear, you need to sleeve it or replace the yoke.

Auto Transport Service
Back