• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dang it! Bought another guitar.

YY1

Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
Went to pawn shop to get a pair of speakers for my shop stereo.

Decided to do the pawn shop circuit.

Saw this. Could not resist.

I've wanted a flying V since the early 1980's (I almost bought a '66 white V in 1987).

It's 2004 1958 reissue "goth".

I'd not seen one, and interestingly the Epiphone site does not list it anywhere, but they do list goth Les Paul, SG, and Explorer models.

It's in pretty good shape. Even has the protective plastic on the input. Solid body model.

Was missing the low E and D strings, and I discovered the cup that holds the string eye was missing for the E string. Yes, that's a gray wire nut drilled through, counter-sunk, and filed to fit.

They had $139 on it. I offered $100 and they took it.

Book value is $325. A few on ebay from $300-$600. MSRP was $650.

The latest in my "under a hundred dollar" guitar collection.

It "came in" to me playing real easy. Needs the rest of the strings changed, though.

Stoked.
IMG_20170409_102640.jpg
IMG_20170409_102719.jpg

I was really after a classic black with white pick guard or would have loved to find a black&white "Schenker" model.

I can't complain on the price and condition, though.

It fits the rest of my collection- all basic black.

V's are somewhat hard to find, at least the "real" Gibson/Epi ones.

The last one I had considered was a late 90's Epi black one but it was $275 and took a while to come in playing it.

Did I mention....STOKED.

Man you are like my dad he has hundreds of guitars starto whatever's and even violins. Gonna show him this.

Great score! I've been thinking about picking up one of those too.

Awesome, I'd love to get one myself. Once my garage is done I'm investing in an amp and guitar to play around with.

I check out the pawnshops and often see flying V's, not Gibsons usually, but Epis and such. Though I am not technically a guitar player I do have a few, including this one I bought from EVH's tech, a few years ago (which he built from Ed's various discarded bits and pieces)...
IMG_2450.JPG

Nice score, but did you find your shop speakers? You'll have to forgive me but you could have gotten a $2,000 Gibson for $100 and my first stupid thought would have been the same....did you get your speakers? That's why my wife says I have a brain full of useless information and I am nuts. :lol:

Aaah such a classic metal guitar...love 'em. Nice score! ..how many guitars does a person need!?! ....n+1! (with n being the number you have now:D) formula can also be applied to bikes, guns, mopars...

I bought a pair of vintage 100w 8" 3 way Fisher's in high bass 3.5 foot enclosures with fabric woofer surrounds.

$20

They sound great. Paired with a early 90's 100w Sony receiver.

Can hear them four bays down with vol at 1/4.

In the past year or so I've bought:

Schecter Sunset Deluxe FR Strat (Floyd Rose)- $225 *This is a badass!*

Epi Les Paul Special II E $99

Epi SG 320 (played better than the 400 model they also had)- $89

...and this V- $100

I don't have an Explorer yet.....

.....and I wouldn't mind a Jackson V.....

.....and I'd buy my '84 Squire Strat back if I ever find it.....

...oh and I bought two 15 watt Fender practice amps for 25 bucks.

One was $20, the other had "broken input' on a sticker, and was $5.

I took the headphone jack out and used it as the input.

I should have bough a 60 watt Fender (was $60), the one with the red knobs.
It screamed.
Was sold the next time I went. Probably because of the way I left it set up :(

This all started because I was trying to get two, cheap but decent guitars to leave a a friend's place in case another, mutual friend and guitar player showed up.

I got under $300 in that including a locking wood and glass display case to keep them in.

I was really after a classic black with white pick guard or would have loved to find a black&white "Schenker" model.

I can't complain on the price and condition, though.

It fits the rest of my collection- all basic black.

V's are somewhat hard to find, at least the "real" Gibson/Epi ones.

The last one I had considered was a late 90's Epi black one but it was $275 and took a while to come in playing it.

Did I mention....STOKED.

That sounds like a give away price.
That's a coincidence. I sat down to eat lunch at work just now an put on UFO and this is the first thread I opened.
With this on.
I'm not making it up.

May sound funny but you gave it to me
And now I got to live without it
I been down to Atlanta

UFO/MSG was my first "research project" diving a little deeper than what was on the radio and the popular HR/HM albums of the early to mid 1980's.

Around the peak of my playing ('87-'93-ish) I could play the incredibly difficult rhythms to "Attack of the Mad Axe Man" and "Rock Bottom".

Probably couldn't play those now to save my life, and I'm sure it would wear me out trying to keep up.

I did just learn "Dammit" by Blink 182. That's kind of a work out, and although MUCH easier than the above, it's kind of the same feel to play.

Seen UFO two weeks ago! They still sound very good ! Second time I've seen them in four years. Their guitarist is not Schenker but I would say he's the next best thing. Still 3 original members in the band singer / drummer and keyboards.

Why can't I find those deals around here?? Seams like pawn shops around me think everything guitar related is gold, not uncommon to see amps be advertised for the price of a new unit. Still looking for one..

My son has about a dozen guitars, but he's a Schecter guy and that's what he buys the most.

Auto Transport Service
Back