• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash Interchange

65 Dartman

Local time
2:47 PM
Reaction score
An A Body friend asked me if the the 66/67 dash will actually bolt in to a later Charger (for example 68-70) or the other way around? We were discussing dash interchangeability with the A bodies and the question came up. I think not.

I'm gonna have to say they do NOT.

The dash housings are not interchangeable. 66/67 Charger are unique (as we all know...lol)

Mark

Other than the tach issue and cosmetics, will a 66 instrument CLUSTER fit in a 67 dash frame?
And vice versa?
I mean the whole cluster assembly.
Metal back and plastic bezel.
They appear to be different around the edges of the plastic housing from what I can tell.
I did a search and could not find this question.
I think all the relevant words are in this post.
Interchange.
Swap.

A 66 Charger instrument cluster and a 67 Charger instrument cluster are interchangeable. But these clusters will only fit in first generation Charger dash frames. The Coronet dash frame is quite a bit different.

The bezel is identical. Only difference in the clusters is the 66 has an external tach sending unit, and the 67 tach has the circuit board in the tach itself. Sounds like you know that already..:)

'66 - '67 Coronet - straight swap.
'66 - '67 Charger - straight swap
'66 - '67 Plymouth "B" - straight swap

The above applies to just the instrument clusters. All of the dash trim swaps between car lines. Note the Charger radio cannot be swapped into a Coronet, as the lighting is controlled by the Charger electroluminescent transformer.

Now, you can swap the entire dash assembly from a Charger to a Coronet (and vice versa) and the wiring harness as a complete unit. Remember, this includes the metal dash shell. I saw a complete Charger dash in a '66 Belvedere II many years ago, that the builder/owner claimed also was a bolt-in job. Pretty damn cool!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back