• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash speaker size

Tori

Local time
2:57 AM
Reaction score
Searched with no exact answer found. Is it a 4x10 that fits the dash of my 71 Satellite ?

I assume the 15lb. 6x9 held in with bailing wire and crammed behind the dash isn't factory.
:rofl:

LOL- in 68 a 4x10 is correct,I think, yours oughta be the same.

I was indicating only that the original single 4x10 speaker, used in ’71-74, had a unique mounting pattern that will be hard to locate a direct replacement from aftermarket world today. Will either need to trim away ears and/or add mounting ears to the ends.

Most will rework the opening or original frame to accept a pair of 3 ½”.
speaker%20frame.jpg
dsc02423r.jpg

Last edited:
Okay. Thank you. I'm sure I can make an aftermarket 4x10 work. My dad's got a bitchen set of tools. :D

I see the speaker drops in from the top. I think a modern speaker will be an easy swap.

Thanks for all the links to the OEM speaker guys,.. I'd be down to buy the pair that were linked to if someone wanted to buy the other one.
I'm not worried about the 4-8ohm issue. It takes A LONG TIME to damage a radio from that issue.

Side question since we are talking radios/speakers: I have one 6x9 in the rear and a defrost fan where the other speaker would go. Is that common ?

I see the speaker drops in from the top. I think a modern speaker will be an easy swap.

Thanks for all the links to the OEM speaker guys,.. I'd be down to buy the pair that were linked to if someone wanted to buy the other one.
I'm not worried about the 4-8ohm issue. It takes A LONG TIME to damage a radio from that issue.

Side question since we are talking radios/speakers: I have one 6x9 in the rear and a defrost fan where the other speaker would go. Is that common ?
Defroster fan was an option. One speaker was a reality. But there are always exceptions.

Auto Transport Service
Back