• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did all 1972 BBodies have coolant recovery tank?

Dibbons

Local time
5:33 AM
Reaction score
I purchased a repro factory style coolant recovery tank that is a tight fit between the driver's side radiator support and battery tray. My '72 SSP project car did not have this when I purchased it. Wondering if it was standard equipment for BBodies for the '72 model year? Are the mounting holes already there or do I need to pull out my drill? Thank you.

Still like to know if I need a drill, but found this tidbit on ebay:

Here's your chance to get your hands on a very hard to find 1972 only B & C body factory coolant recovery tank. Standard with A36 performance axle package and otherwise optional. This is NOS in the original Mopar box.

Wonder which axle package that was, too?

When I got my car it had a small crappy overflow tank. I eventually installed the correct one with the correct mounting bracket. I'm not sure if Plymouth mounted it in the same spot as my 72 Coronet. I can take pictures of mine if you like.

This may help

001.JPG

The repo tanks available today should not require any drilling if have the correct corresponding bracket kit. While not technically the correct tank that was optional in ’72, it will work fine. The ’72 versions are very rare these days and are not reproduced that I’ve seen.
The ebay auction appears to be the correct ’72 tank, its missing both the and lower brackets however.

Last edited:
Already spent a small fortune on "correct" bracket and bottle. Neither will fit, my radiator appears aftermarket (no pentstar) and the repro shroud and factory shroud brackets I recently added interfere with bolting on the overflow bottle bracket. Maybe someday I can fabricate/modify the bracket and make it fit. Thanks for the above tips, my friends.
DSC00844.JPG
DSC00845.JPG

That looks like a 73/4 bracket. 72 is a two piece setup. Bottom one is cup shaped and top one goes over the radiator like I showed before.
You have the wrong fan shroud and that is hold the bracket out to far. Get the right width shroud and yours should fit like Coronet 14's.

Last edited:
Is that a 22” rad? Appears that rad/shroud combination will not accept the bracket as designed. I can tell you the 26” original style rad/shroud will allow that bracket to fit, I’m running the same parts.
Yes, the repo parts are of a later design.

Already spent a small fortune on "correct" bracket and bottle. Neither will fit, my radiator appears aftermarket (no pentstar) and the repro shroud and factory shroud brackets I recently added interfere with bolting on the overflow bottle bracket. Maybe someday I can fabricate/modify the bracket and make it fit. Thanks for the above tips, my friends. View attachment 331026 View attachment 331027
Having the same problem as yours....22" rad

Auto Transport Service
Back