• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dumb Rookie Question

Miccara

Local time
6:41 AM
Reaction score
Since my firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 (440 Engine) with counter clockwise distributor rotation, why am I always connecting the wires to the distributor with #1 in the same spot as shown in Chrysler diagrams when it would seem to me that #1 could be in any spot on the distributor, as long as you keep the firing order the same in the rotation?
...or am I missing something?

A simple explanation without getting overly technical, is because your distributor is driven by your camshaft which is what determines when a valve opens and closes . That's why its called timing. The relationship between when the valve is closed on the compression stroke and when the distributor sparks the plug in that cylinder allows the fuel and air to explode creating rotation of the crank which drives the wheels of the car. Lets say you moved the wires 1 space counter clockwise without also somehow moving the cam positioning, when the camshaft reached the #1 compression stroke the distro would fire on what should be #1 but is now #2 cylinder. If your doing an initial firing of the engine this would just result in the engine not firing but say you continue to turn the starter and pump fuel into the cylinders. Ultimately you could destroy your motor depending on where the valves are in the relation to the piston on that # 2 cylinder when the fuel building up inside of it finally sparks.

The rotor inside the distributor has to be set for #1. You could put #1 any place as long as the rotor is set to the #1 which means pulling Distributor to align rotor with #1 spark plug wire.

A simple explanation without getting overly technical, is because your distributor is driven by your camshaft which is what determines when a valve opens and closes . That's why its called timing. The relationship between when the valve is closed on the compression stroke and when the distributor sparks the plug in that cylinder allows the fuel and air to explode creating rotation of the crank which drives the wheels of the car. Lets say you moved the wires 1 space counter clockwise without also somehow moving the cam positioning, when the camshaft reached the #1 compression stroke the distro would fire on what should be #1 but is now #2 cylinder. If your doing an initial firing of the engine this would just result in the engine not firing but say you continue to turn the starter and pump fuel into the cylinders. Ultimately you could destroy your motor depending on where the valves are in the relation to the piston on that # 2 cylinder when the fuel building up inside of it finally sparks.

Ahhh, right! Thanks. I'm getting old, mind not functioning as quick ;)

Since my firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 (440 Engine) with counter clockwise distributor rotation, why am I always connecting the wires to the distributor with #1 in the same spot as shown in Chrysler diagrams when it would seem to me that #1 could be in any spot on the distributor, as long as you keep the firing order the same in the rotation?

AND the rotor pointing at #1 piston's wire when it's supposed to be firing....correct. Sometimes I've had situations where I was trying to adjust my timing "really far one direction" and the vacuum advance would hit something. I just moved the wires over one position (and compensate with my timing one plug tower on the cap too...not wording this very well) and I'm good. Basically, I'm just adjusting where the vacuum advance sits (between alternator & intake).

AND a dumb question is the one not asked!!!!

Yeah, sometimes people move their distributor position to alleviate the vacuum canister interfering with the valve cover.. whichever tower you want the rotor to point at when cyl #1 is at TDC is now #1 in the firing order

Oh oops I kind of parroted what purple beeper just said... got distracted before I hit 'post':rolleyes:

And, it's worth mentioning just so you have all the info... It is dependent on how you index the slot in the oil pump drive shaft when you drop it in... the slot in the top of the drive gear must point where you want before you put the distributor in

Last edited:
No...not missing a thing.
In reality, your question is valid, thought correct. It's all relative. Sure, #1 plug wire needs to face rotor location...just common sense.

Only reason the books give a location for #1 plug wire, is, call it standard practice to install the distributor drive gear in the same way. And, since the distributor caps only go on one way, via the locating tab, and the need to have clearance to turn the distributor to set timing. Not all distributors are the same. If it sports a vacuum canister, the can needs to be clear of engine parts, for timing.
Oops! That's two.

Auto Transport Service
Back