• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EFI plumbing

Gpuller

Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
We are working on a '70 Charger and it will have EFI. Plan is to have a Tanks EFI fuel tank with in tank pump.
Trying to figure out a clean method of plumbing the system. Would it be possible to use 5/16 factory fuel line for return and a 3/8 factory line for supply? Could they occupy the same space or made to work side by side? Then possibly use compression fittings and fuel hose to connect to tank and EFI up on the engine.

I would/did use 3/8's for both feed and return.

I used efi rated hose with push on connectors.

Gates, is rated for 80 psi.

We are working on a '70 Charger and it will have EFI. Plan is to have a Tanks EFI fuel tank with in tank pump.
Trying to figure out a clean method of plumbing the system. Would it be possible to use 5/16 factory fuel line for return and a 3/8 factory line for supply? Could they occupy the same space or made to work side by side? Then possibly use compression fittings and fuel hose to connect to tank and EFI up on the engine.

I used -6AN line, but 3/8" pressure and 5/16" return should be fine as long as your not running some crazy large sized pump?
I ran the pressure side line along the stock fuel line route (passenger side), but behind the "T" bar where there are the two 90-degree bends, I installed the EFI fuel filter and used -6AN 90-degree fittings on the filter. The return line runs along the drivers side parallel to the brake lines. This was mainly because of how the fuel rails run on the engine. I am putting a flex-fuel sensor in the return line also.
I used the Spectra EFI fuel tank and it does not have -AN fittings, so I had to connect some Gates "Barricade" EFI fuel line from the tank fittings to some -AN fittings. You will want to use the EFI fuel line clamps, not the worm gear type.

https://www.amazon.com/Gates-27341-Barricade-Fuel-Line/dp/B0053OSBCC

I did all 3/8" hard line, using B nuts and unions along the way. Only part I used a soft line was right off the tank and then the last segment going up to the EFI unit.

Aeroquip with socketless fittings is the only way to go (pushloc fittings). The return line is one size larger that the feed so you can go 5/16 feed and 3/8 return to make sure there is no resistance created by the return to affect the pressure regulator's proper operation. To save on cash, use steel JIC fittings as opposed to Earl's, Aeroquip etc in inconspicuous places.

Car is a stock 383 so we wont be going over board on the pump size.

Auto Transport Service
Back