• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELECTRONIC IGNITION- 4 PIN VERSES 5 PIN

mopar73dge

Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
I HAVE USED THE ORANGE BOX ON MY 318, IT HAS ONLY 4 PINS THE STOCK ECU (1973), HAS 5 PINS. I PURCHASED A NOS BOX DATED 1986 IT HAS 4 PINS . ANY ADVANTAGES TO THE 4 PIN AND WHY IT WAS CHANGED? I AM USING A STOCK WIREING HARNESS WITH 5 PINS AND A STOCK DUEL BALLAST RESISTOR, ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED

THANKS

Someone here may be able to give you more of a technical and correct answer than me. Having said that, the 4 pin was created during the "Lean Burn" era as LB was so undependable. It also proved to be somewhat more dependable than the double ballast as time went on, so that has been the "go-to" kit for Electronic Ignition since the last 70's for Mopars. Now hopefully someone here can explain why it is better.

They power the module from one resister instead of one really light one that failed easier and the heaver one to just one for both circuits

ok thanks. I also wanted to switch to the new revenator ECU I hear it has a three year warrantee and will give over 10 hp gains.

4 pins modules got the secondary resistor built into the module, so thats the reason the 5th pin is not there anymore.

I have the first gen rev-n-nator... ( serial number 00020, maybe the first one exported? ) I'm happy with it. No missed beats. I have tested several performance units. The old A688 FBO and chromed MP shown a faster start up ( untill they failed ), but the Rev-N-Nator is more consistent response all allong the rpms

My main initial deal on the rev-n-nator module was the continuous quality problems with the rest. Got tired of that. Eat 3 chromed MP and the FBO in two years and a half

What was the performance gain for you and what engine do you have? was there a noticeable improvement with acceleration?

Hard to tell against stock ign module and stock engine since I tried every box with my stroked 400 ( 440 crank ) and actually never have had correctly adjusted my carburetor, having pinging which I think comes from incorrect quench. My car is at body job 4 years now and engine dissasembled once again. Never hace raced my car or took to a dyno.

All I can say right now is what I have told, the MP got a faster start up but felt like lost some beats quite often. The Rev-N-Nator maybe takes one second later to start up but the rpms increase is waaaaay smoother. The FBO A688 was something like in the middle of both. I am really happy with the Rev-N-Nator.

Last edited:
Actually when the Rev-N-Nator came out the gain advertised was allmost 40hp! I think hard to believe but one thing is true... the smooth and consistent response an all the RPM run must give some hp gain. It feels like a modern car!

Troy an Laura provide also a great customer support.

thank you1 I will call them and ask if this will be a benifit for my 318 with a 323 gear and mild 430 inch chrysler cam duel exhaust set up

Auto Transport Service
Back