• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel - Octane Requirement

66Hemi

Local time
5:16 PM
Reaction score
Acquired the correct Prestolite DP dist for my stock 440-4V. Currently, runs OK on pump premium with stock SP dist.
With DP dist installed, been told I will need to run CAM2 (or equiv) higher octane fuel. Get the need for performance runs, racing, etc.
Q1: Will higher octane fuel be req'd for normal cruising?
Q2: If so, will a fuel mix w/ pump premium meet reqs?
Q3: If so, fuel mix rec?
Thanks!

Think DP dist only lets coil charge longer for a stronger spark.

Correct. It won't spark twice, just holds the spark longer across the points. I don't think it should make you need a higher octane. You'll get a better burn with what you're putting in there.
Is everything else stock with the motor? 93 octane should be fine for it.

dual vs single points shouldn't effect octane requirements. different ignition curves in the distributors may effect octane requirement.

Timing and compression ratio determine octain requirement.Cam profiles with a small overlap can also have an effect.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Car: '69 Coronet R/T; #s matched 440-4V, 4-spd. Track-Pak. Unrestored orig ext, int, drivetrain, etc. All NOS. 28K mis

Engine is totally stock. Other than normal tune-up & maint, not been touched.
Had to wonder if adding the "missing link" (NOS Prestolite DP dist) would adversely impact.

BTW:
Timing advanced 35 degrees for the current SP dist. Timing similar for DP dist?

Life @ 5800+' elev can be a bit taxing for that aging lady (and us retired old farts).
91 oct pump premium in this neck of the woods

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back