• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel sender adjusting

bee71

Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
Guys,I want to try to adjust my fuel sender. I had all the proper ohm readings, but I think I need to get the float to read more correctly. Where would the best place to bend the float arm? When half full tank the sender reads just above empty and I know the gauge is working properly. Thanks.

Guys,I want to try to adjust my fuel sender. I had all the proper ohm readings, but I think I need to get the float to read more correctly. Where would the best place to bend the float arm? When half full tank the sender reads just above empty and I know the gauge is working properly. Thanks.

To get as accurate as possible you must remove the unit and mock it into position as it sits in the tank. I plot the shape and depth of the tank on corrugated cardboard. The cardboard need only be half the length of the tank. Note where the sending unit sits and cut a slot for the flange of the sending unit to slip in to. Connect a ground wire and sending unit wire to the sender from the car's exsisting wires. You can rest the cardboard against the rear tire while you do this but make sure the profile on the cardboard is the same angle as the tank in the car. An angle finder works best to find the angle of the tank. First and foremost you want to set the "empty" position with the float arm using the tank profile you drew on the cardboard which will show you the bottom of the tank. Do not let the float touch the bottom of the tank. From there you adjust the float arm for 1/2 full. You'll have to bend the arm abit to get in the ballpark of both settings. Keep in mind that aftermarket senders are notorious for having the wrong lengths of arms so the farther the float extends from the sender the more subtle and accurate the values. You get the picture here so have a go at it. When you're satisfied with the registered values, put the sender back in the tank. If you're fortunate to have a horizontal, top mounted sender, for even better accuracy, install a tubular sender matched to the depth of your tank.

Not sure about the aftermarket but the O.E. senders,if you remove the cover of the arm reo-stat there is a screw to adjust the reo-stat.

Auto Transport Service
Back