• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting the Lock Out of the Glove Box - '71 Charger

71SandbugCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
ok, last question for the day, I hope. Last night I did research, watched a YouTube video on the process. I stuck wires in the little hole. Nothing. Today, I took it to a locksmith who looked at it, said he didn't know how to get it off, and suggested I take it to the local Dodge dealership. The problem is, I don't have the key.

I'd like to save the catch half and just replace the lock cylinder and chime side (Classic has them).

How do I get the lock off with no key?

IMG_2595.JPG IMG_2596.JPG IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2598.JPG

My locksmith had to pry off the chrome handle which started to slip after the key was made. Had another glove box which we were able to remove and press back on the chrome handle without it slipping (so fsr). Wihout having the key it can be problematic.öo

Find a good locksmith and have a key made.
A good locksmith can do it without destroying anything.

The only way to get it apart is having the key turn the lock into a specific position
To be able to access the pin to release it.
Without the key you are sol

Find a good locksmith and have a key made.
A good locksmith can do it without destroying anything.

The only way to get it apart is having the key turn the lock into a specific position
To be able to access the pin to release it.
Without the key you are sol

Yeah, I read a post on a Challenger board today and came to the same conclusion. I'm now looking for a good locksmith. In Southern California, that is as easy as finding an igloo. Lately, if it isn't made at Ikea and doesn't have an electronic door lock here, there's pandemonium, brush fires, freeway accidents, and protests! :)

There are a lot of hack locksmiths out there.
One I saw didn't even try to pick the lock
He was called on.
He just broke out a drill!
If they ever want to destroy anything
Find another one.
That is the easy sign of a hack
A key can be made without hurting anything.
by a process called mapping
and a real expert could make a key
Just Off the lock code
Even with a key those locks can be tough
I have taken a few a apart and
The last one I did was a real pita.

Don't they use the trunk key for the glove box?

I've had some luck trying other keys of the same style and a little jiggling might turn it.

My 05 Sebring key works in my 03 Dodge Ram. Ignition only. Won't work the other way around. Found out by accident one day.

If you know where the pin is, can you drill a small hole to access it and disassemble without the key?
Not sure it would work, maybe someone can confirm.

A good locksmith, 15 minutes and $20. He had to pick it for a while since the first pin was stuck. He's going to key the new cylinder to my trunk key when I get the cylinder (out of stock at Classic).

IMG_2602.JPG

If you know where the pin is, can you drill a small hole to access it and disassemble without the key?
Not sure it would work, maybe someone can confirm.

if you had another lock where you could see exactly where it is
i would say maybe.
the stuff in these locks are tight and you just might fubar it up pretty easy.

back to the op
its good to see it worked out for you.
like i said before
the best way to tell that a locksmith is a hack is to see how fast he uses a drill.
a good one won't need a drill..

I've got a 72 RR that I am trying to remove the lock from the glove box. I have the key but the question is what to do to remove the lock. I cant see this pin that people are talking about. Does it have to be in the locked or unlocked position ? Will it just pry off with the key in it ? Thanks for any help I'm trying to get the dash repainted.

iirc
it has to be in the locked position (why you need the key)
and when you press the pin
you might need to wiggle and pry on it a little to get it apart
nothing crazy, but some are stuck in there pretty good..

Auto Transport Service
Back