• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good weekend at NMCA

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:38 AM
Reaction score
Got teched in Fri morning, all good. The water pump fuse blows on the way back. Of course I'm pitted on the far side of the track. Blows another fuse after 5 minutes. Check the amperage draw, 25a instead of the nornal 8a. Rush around looking for a replacement. I get a broken one, parts? maybe? Take mine apart find the impeller is loose on shaft and dragging. Fixed. Now I 've missed all testing. One qualifier today. Check the weather, add 50lbs. Way off 9.196. Saturday morning air is even better. I decide to run the same tune up to get a good handle as to what the air change will do, 9.126. OK, one qualifier left. Add 35lbs, pull timing back to 26 total, 9.229. At least we're close. 1st rd Sunday air is better yet. Strap in another 50lbs, (now110lb). My 1st rd opponent Doug Duell points leader. Unfortunately he has a fuel , they shut him off. We run .031/9.216. 2nd rd now D/A is up. We remove 50lbs. Another tough custo me in Tim Helmick. His .017 to my .020. He can't cover, we lift to a 9.30 win. 3rd rd is no easier. Casey Fauss-Johnson . We have quite the history of final rds. Winner has a bye into the finsl. This is a crutial rd. I tell him to take at easy on the old man. He asks how much im holding, I say nothing, it's set to go dead on. True to my word, I cut .001 light, 9.26. He redlighted but there wasn't much room for him. On the bye I hit the tree hard again, -.002. Close enough to my .001 as I watch my next opponent Rick Neumier go 11.001 on a 11.00. Work is cut out for us. Add 10lbs. Let 3 lbs out of the front tires to slow the R/T. I will NOT go red. Final ; my .034 (my slowest light of the weekend) to his .060 I close it up and dump to a 9.30. So there you have it. A weekend of index foot brake racing on how we try to keep it tight. D/A varied 2800ft over the course of the event. Car went within.01 of prediction on every pass to 1000ft
Doug

Last edited:
Sounds like some text book racing. Nice job but it's not your first rodeo either. Goes to show it takes quite a bit of experience to do what you do with foot braking. I've always said that the the electronics take all the fun out of it.

Just how much will three lbs of air, out of the fronts, slow the car down?

Doug it sounds like you know how to spell 'consistency' ..

Just how much will three lbs of air, out of the fronts, slow the car down?
Sill a learning curve. Not sure how much was me, how much was pressure. What I can show is;
lights before change, .014,.011,.031,.020,.001,-.002. After the change only one pass,.034
Doug

Sill a learning curve. Not sure how much was me, how much was pressure. What I can show is;
lights before change, .014,.011,.031,.020,.001,-.002. After the change only one pass,.034
Doug

More tire contact, not staging as deep?

Great Job Doug...it was nice pitting with you guys. That car of yours is one bad *** hot rod.

Final rds, we're the 3rd pair about 2 minutes in

Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back