• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help me put cable TV in my shop

eldubb440

more miracles than Jesus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
ok..... so a year and a half ago I buried 1 1/2" plastic conduit and ran an R6 TV cable along with a CAT6 cable for internet. The internet works great, I run to a router and wireless from there.
The run appears to be too long for the TV cable, I didn't do my homework. The cable is about 250 feet, and 300 feet from the main tap.
I now know bypassing splitters is key, and need to go right to the main tap, but am I wasting my time with the R6? will an amp work? I've read about R11...... alot of conflicting info on the net, as usual. Plese hook a brotha up

Hi
I work with Telemetry for a living.
Hmm
Im puzzled because the Cable Companies RUN RG6 for long distances
Sure that have "amps" along the way but remember the first rule of amplifying a signal?
Yup, Amp closest to the dish or source, otherwise WE amplify line noise.
RG stands for "Radio Guide" as that is essentially a frequency being transmitted from one point to another
I certainly do not think 200 or 300 ft is terriblly long
RG6 has an attenuation of something like 0.02 dB per 100 feet at a 10 MHz freq?
(Tech school, Lowry Air Force base, 1979?)
Have you done any research?

A signal booster might help but you might still need the rg11 anyway. If the cat6 is also 300 feet, you're pretty much at it's limit before the speed degrades.

Well,
yes, as Glenwood says
RG11 is (I think) half the voltage drop and less Line loss, dealing with mv of course.

Problem with a Video amp again is your best point of amplification is at the source.
Lots of this somewhere out there.
Good luck

yes ski its way out there I have been trying the same and been having issues and trying to extend wi fi signal too

the way I tried it, i went from the closest end of the house; but that is opposite to where the main feed comes in, and there were 3 splitters involved. From the pole, it splits upstairs from downstairs; and downstairs there are 2 tvs so it splits again. Then I added one at the nearest TV to the shop. I also put an amp right there; but got nothing......then I said F it for a while.

so now it's been a while, I guess my next move is to bypass the house and go out to the first splitter; this is the longer run. I will have to splice about 50 feet to what I already have.....basically have no clue, so I'm hoping someone here has a fix.......or a different idea all together

A signal booster might help but you might still need the rg11 anyway. If the cat6 is also 300 feet, you're pretty much at it's limit before the speed degrades.

cat6 is about 250 feet, works great

First double check your fittings, the white insulator around the copper must be cut squarely and flush with the bottom of the inside, if you're looking down into the end of the fitting..copper should stick out past the end about 1/8-1/4 inch only..if you have the cable you can run a temp line from your tv back to the source, if it clears up you know the signal's good so start hooking it up to your splitters and other connection points until you isolate the problem area..could be them dang rodents chewed it sonewhere.. Cable is like water through a hose though, the more splits and distance, the weaker the signal gets..maybe put a 2-way splitter right at the first point and run your shop line off one leg and the rest off of the other..

If this is a tv tower/antenna, like ski says the booser needs to be as close to the antenna as possible. The rg6 may be fine if connected to the booster and not split/tapped along its length. Every splitter will degrade the signal somewhat as will loading of additional tvs tapped into a particular cable.
We ran thousands of feet of rg6 for early industrial communications as the cable was capable of high baud rates over long lengths but these systems were no where near the frequencies of television signals.

Auto Transport Service
Back