• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Intake gasket install... use the foam end gaskets or not?

65RoadRacer

Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score
I've installed intake manifolds before and tossed out the front and rear foam/cork seal and just ran a thick bead of Ultra Black. Seemed to be easier to deal with because the seals sometimes move when you're laying down the intake.
fel-ms9344sh_w.jpg

So I was thinking, maybe 'glue' down the end seals with Ultra Black and let that set up, then run a bead on the top and lay down the intake.

What do you guys typically do? (I have a different gasket set, not this one with the metal gaskets). Thanks!

I've installed intake manifolds before and tossed out the front and rear foam/cork seal and just ran a thick bead of Ultra Black. Seemed to be easier to deal with because the seals sometimes move when you're laying down the intake.
View attachment 519362
So I was thinking, maybe 'glue' down the end seals with Ultra Black and let that set up, then run a bead on the top and lay down the intake.

What do you guys typically do? (I have a different gasket set, not this one with the metal gaskets). Thanks!
I always use "The Right Stuff" in place of the gaskets. Why? I don't believe the end gaskets compress in conjunction with the flange gaskets properly resulting in a higher probability of having leaks. You're going to have to use a swipe of sealant in the corners of these gaskets anyway so you may as well reduce the number of different materials used. I also attach the flange gaskets to the intake with Permatex High Tack in an aerosol can before setting the intake in place. Spray only the intake side of the gasket, place them on the intake flanges and allow to set for five minutes. No more worries of the gaskets creeping into the port openings.

So you don't coat both sides, hmm. I used to use the red stuff on the intake side and a different sealer on the head side, but can't remember what that was. I used the red on both sides before, it seemed to work well. I tried 'sticking' the intake gasket to the intake while I did Ultra Black on the block surface. Picked up the intake, and one of the gaskets fell into the galley. Crap. I think that's why I coated both sides... less chance of it moving/falling if it's on the head. lol

Thanks for the info. I'm trying that Ultimate Gray for the block surface instead of the black, see if I like that.

Incidentally, I've always used only Ultra Gray for the T-stat housing, it works great... never with a gasket, and never had a leak. coated both sides of the water pump gasket with a thin smear of Ultra Gray, that sealed up nicely, too.

Why do you guys use gaskets with all the sealer?
Never-never stack sealer on top of sealer. Thats just asking for failure.
Sealant height to width ratios need to be maintained or any type of sealant will fail. If it can not stretch it will pull away. We all know what happens next.

Why do you guys use gaskets with all the sealer?
Never-never stack sealer on top of sealer. Thats just asking for failure.
Sealant height to width ratios need to be maintained or any type of sealant will fail. If it can not stretch it will pull away. We all know what happens next.
If I don't use this red stuff, the gasket will never stay in place while I'm trying to lay the manifold on top. I've used this red gasket spray (brush before) just to adhere the gasket to the head, never had any issues with leaks... this is the fourth time I've installed an intake on this engine (different intakes - dual quad, single, cast iron, aluminum, etc.)

Good old gun grease will hold gaskets in place.

NASA can spend thousands on a hammer. The AirForce would not allows a can or tube of sealant into the heavy vehicles shop. Everything from head gaskets to gasket paper was held in place with grease.

I use a thick bead of ultra black on the ends. Lay the intake on dry first to see how big the gap is. For the sides, I use aviation form a gasket Around the coolant ports on the heads and lay the gasket on, then lower the intake down. No leaks...

After the first attempt failed, I cleaned everything up and got new gaskets. This time, I tried this new "Ultimate Gray" for the ends, without the foam seals. I also sprayed the red gasket sealer on the intake gaskets both sides, as I've always liked that stuff.

The Ultimate Gray is a lot more viscous than Ultra Gray or Ultra Black. I saw a video where it was used, thought I would try it. You can lay down an even, thick bead much easier than the others, but it takes 24 hours to cure. So I laid it down, it's kinda messy and it will run and drip so I don't know what is inside the engine galley. It says to assemble immediately (I waited a few minutes) and later torque bolts to spec. I waited the 24 hours, checked the bolts, and then started the car and drove it - no leaks.

I've had success with the Black, and I'll probably use that next time because I wasn't real fond of the Ultimate Gray, at least not for an intake where you have to adjust it to line up the bolt holes. I haven't tried it anywhere else, but I'm not in a hurry to do so, either. I like Ultra Gray for t-stat and timing cover, but the black for the intake ends, at least on a V8, anyway. And yes... that's a Poly with Roland's Intake Manifold.
21765721_1101981149935173_5764630269915330635_o.jpg

What's bad about the silicone seal is if it gets loose, it can partially clog oil pickup. I glue down gaskets and not have any or very little inside let them dry. Then put a bead on top to the outside half, then put manifold on. When it's tightened down run my finger to spread excess. My end gaskets are a half inch wide makes it easy.

What's bad about the silicone seal is if it gets loose, it can partially clog oil pickup. I glue down gaskets and not have any or very little inside let them dry. Then put a bead on top to the outside half, then put manifold on. When it's tightened down run my finger to spread excess. My end gaskets are a half inch wide makes it easy.
I'm hoping since I let it cure that it hardened enough to stay in place and didn't ooze out too much. It's definitely easier when it's on a stand rather than in the car... pretty difficult to get to the back side of the intake.

Auto Transport Service
Back