• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

kickdown lever

daredevil

Local time
10:52 PM
Reaction score
Someone fill me in on 5.0 hemi kickdown levers. what is used normally and where is this in the trans? Or is it external ? Is it the lever on top of the shift lever? If this is the case I dont need one due to having a manual valve body.

5.0 Hemi?????????????????????????????

If you have a full manual valvebody in the trans, you don't need a kickdown

i think 5.o is the ratio or something for a 727 kickdown they used in hemi cars

Oh. Yeah, the 5.0 lever INSIDE the trans. Holds the band tighter than the standard lever. I don't build transeseszzzzzz lol, but I know it's inside and I'm relatively certain it is attached to the band and is what causes it to squeeze on the drum

its the second band lever that is engaged from the front servo. The lever is pushed up by the front servo piston, thus placing pressure (through the band strut) to engage the front band to engage the 2nd gear shift.

the ratio (they come in 2.9, 3.8, 4.2, and 5.0) allows a quicker engagement of the front band. This lever, in conjuction with an increase in number of front clutch piston springs and a shift kit or manual valve body modification, will firm up the 1-2 shift so as to engage 2nd gear quicker and reduce the "sliding" of the front clutch drum clutches which increase wear.

do you need it? no.. a 4.2 lever is a favored ratio in street and strip builds as the 5.0 lever in a stock build will put too much stress on the band strut at times and could cause band strut failure.

hope this helps.

Auto Transport Service
Back