• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf blowers

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:18 PM
Reaction score
My son, 13, just last summer took an interest in yard work.....about time right? He is Autistic, and loud noises used to bug the hell out him, but no more. So I bought myself an Echo gas leaf blower (got it used) and it starts right up every time, but I can't get full throttle, it'll die and it won't idle so I've set it for a bit higher.

So last Xmas I got Hunter a new craftsman blower, started right up and worked great for awhile. Now it's a pile of **** as I can't get it to start and I use TrueFuel in a can at 50:1 as it doesn't have Ethanol in it.

So Hunter graduated 8th grade last week and the grounds crew at his school all chipped in and got him a Murray leaf blower! That blew my mind, and Hunter was so excited to get it. My son can tell you all the specs on any blower, especially the Echo's! He loves them!

Now this pile of **** won't start, and I'm ready to **** can every one of them, 3 total, and just go back to electric. What I'm getting at is this, none of them are worth taking in to get fixed, I'm out of patience with them and I really don't want to go back to electric. So what do you guys have that runs every time you use it?

By the way, I'll pony up for a good one, just want my boy to be happy!!!

That's awesome to here about your boy taking interest in something like landscaping and overcoming the sound issues. That was nice to hear about the school crew too.
I've never had any issues with an Echo... Mine has sat for 2 months, went out there and it fired up after the second/3rd pull...
If the used one isn't worth working on I would buy another one in a heart beat!

I have a bosch back pack blower, 2 pulls on "choke" one on "run" fires up immediately after sitting all winter, also echo weed wacker and chain saw start immediately

I have found with these types of 2 stroke engines that the clear plastic fuel line break right where the line goes into the tank and the fuel pick-up screen ends up lying in the bottom of the tank. I would see if the carb was getting fuel. Spray ether (starting fuel) into the carb and try to start the engine. If It runs for a short time and dies I would replace the fuel line
Hope this helps

I buy only Stihl. They are more expensive up front but you get what you pay for. I always ask myself how much is the hassle and extra time worth when you buy cheap stuff that breaks or doesn't work a short time later. Some things are an exception but anything used a lot or with a small engine it is worth spending extra money. When it comes to lawn mowers/weedeaters/blowers; if it is for sale used then there is generally a reason.

A good example, when I bought my first home 15 years ago, I was trying to save money and bought a Wally World weed eater. Took it home and it wouldn't even start once. Took it back to Wally World and bought Stihl. 1 weed eater and 1 blower. No problems starting from year to year.

They are getting fuel, spark and air. Starting fluid, suppose I got nothing to lose by trying that.

check compression ... I just put a piston ring in my husqvarna leaf blower, works like a champ !

2 of them are new, shouldn't need a damn thing other than fuel to run.

I'm leaning towards an Echo backpack blower, at least that's what Hunter wants and hell, he's the one that's gonna use it.

I don't have a leaf blower, as I only had one tree that drops enough leaves to warrant owning one.....so I cut the tree down. :lol:
But I do own a two-stroke Echo weed-eater, and it is awesome. Starts after about 2-3 pulls once primed, and I always drain the fuel when I am finished, then a re-start to drain the last drops.
Good luck in your search. :thumbsup:

Have had several gas blowers, pain in the@$$. Mixing gas and oil. One I goofed the mix other had problems like yours. Bought a Little Wonder walk behind 4 stroke $500. Wife wanted a hand held, Toro electric blower $80(idiot proof I don't have to mix) and 250ft of12/3 extension cords, $140. She likes a clean driveway.

Last edited:
Try pulling the spark arrestor screens on your non running blowers. They clog up and cause issues

I think the big thing is getting one that can be tuned. I had a Cub Cadet that wouldn't run unless it was near full choke and wouldn't idle at all, no adjustments meant I was stuck with it. My next was a Husqavarna and because it actually has adjuster screws you can dial it in from time to time.

IMG_3951.jpg
Have you tried starting them with the foam filter off? I also use this for oil with regular pump gas.

5.7Hemi . . . I can't stand the things for the exact same reason . . . they just don't seem to last . . . Frustrating.

Great news with your son - hope that you find one that works, and keeps working ( then you'll BOTH be happy )

I'm sure we will find one, I'll pay and he will use it!!

IMG_2406.JPG
I only will buy stihl had nothing but good luck. Bought new ones about 5 years ago blower and trimmer. They start an run like brand new every time. The Stihl dealer told me to drain the fuel an try starting it to make sure all fuel is out then next spring refuel an they will fire up. So far 5 years in a row. Love them hope this helps. Usaroadrunner

I bought one of these for powered snow last winter and I like it. I've been using it after mowing and trimming this year.

It's not very loud at all, that's why I wanted to try it. It's a jet engine design and comes with the large battery. I've never used it for more than fifteen minutes and the battery was still good the next time I used it. These new batteries charge in about five minutes. It also has a variable speed trigger which is nice for controlling the debris.

They also have bigger models ...
e7eb32a8-9b85-44b0-b8e3-8023a2028daf_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ON...m-Ion-Cordless-Jet-Fan-Blower-P2180/206451819

Buy a 4 cycle, mine has lasted 8 yrs now, starts up every time. Never have drained the fuel, I use premium only.

Auto Transport Service
Back