• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lower control arm bushing removal

peakandscoot

Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to remove the bushing on lower control arm of 62 plymouth
20170226_153614.jpg

Know anyone with a press. I have burnt the rubber out and cut the bushing but you will still need a press to put the new one back in.

There are several ways to do this...the best by far but is an added expense is to purchase these tools from mancini
http://www.manciniracing.com/locoarmbuslr.html
http://www.manciniracing.com/unfrsuprotok.html

It is an added expense but if you work on several cars it is worth it. Or what I did we have a group of buddies here and we all went in on these and share them....

The cheapest way is to push out the pivot and remove the rubber and cut down one side......

Here's what I did...I believe similar methods have been posted by others as well.

After searching the forum and internet I removed one side by removing the inner sleeve and rubber and "chiseled" it out. It was a bear to say the least....didn't want to repeat the process on the other LCA. Lucked up on a press on Craigslist for $25.00 that needed the bottle jack replaced.

Using the welded washer method it took me a total of 20 minutes to remove the old bushing.

I picked up the tip on this forum to use a 1/2 washer (ground to fit) and recess it in the bushing and spot weld it. To me it made a lot more sense than setting the washer on the top lip of the bushing and weld it (to avoid possible welding to LCA). Dropped a bold with a nut and washer on the reverse side and pressed it out.

A - 1.jpg

A - 1 (1).jpg

A - 2.jpg

A - 3.jpg

A - 4.jpg

Do yourself a favor and get the tool from Mancini, you need to press the pivot shaft out first the inner sleeve will come out with it, the outter shell will be left behind that's the hardest part. Took me 4 hours to do mine last weekend with a hammer and chisel

IMG_1111.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back