• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lowering 72 Charger?

Evoking

Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am considering buying a 72. I love the lines on these cars! Especially when lowered and on wheels that fill the fenders better. How exactly do you lower these cars? I assume you can't just buy lowering springs since the rear are leaf springs.

Depends on how low you want to go. If you want to really lower it, scrap the suspension all together and replace with an air ride. If you want to lower it a little, you'll need a set of new leaf springs that are arched to a different angle and then turn the torsion bars to lower the front, which may affect your handling.

Thanks. Want to go maybe 2-3 inches. I have seen some with the stance I want without bags.

How do you know what leafs to buy? Do they say how much lower than stock? Also do people ever run coil-overs?

Thanks. Want to go maybe 2-3 inches. I have seen some with the stance I want without bags.

How do you know what leafs to buy? Do they say how much lower than stock? Also do people ever run coil-overs?
There are a couple of different spring makers who will make you whatever you need. In my case, I go higher than stock, but they do make them for lower-than-stock applications. Springs n' Things (http://www.springsnthings.com/leaf-spring.htm) makes them to lower up to 2".

You can also look at the rear spring hangers and seeing if you can modify those or get new ones made as well. That might get you down another inch in the back.

I've seen folks use the coil overs. If you're up for the conversion, and cost, you can do that as well.

There are some tricks you can use without breaking the bank. One is to simply use the torsion bar adjusters to lower the front end. You will find a limit to this, though, and if you go too far you won't be able to get back into camber/caster specs and will wear front tires.

Out back, you can flip the front perches, and buy adjustable rear shackles (I think JS has them) to gain a couple inches. If you want more, a good local spring shop should be able to "De-Arch" the springs you already have by an inch or two.

I don't see any reason to rip it all out, you can get close to whatever stance you want with the stock stuff and a few tricks. Any lower and you are going to have serious clearance issues, especially with headers.

We bust on the ricers for acting like paint and decals can add speed but don't underestimate the visual changes that a longitudinal stripe or vinyl roof can accomplish. This is esp true on the E-bodies, as the 70-71s even had strategically placed seams to make the cars look sleeker.

I usually wouldn't recommend this but the 71-72 B-s have such fat fenders that the billet rallye wheels actually look pretty good on them. I think they come in 17 or 18" sizes so you can fit a taller tire and fill up the well.

947-619g.jpg

bfd1d5e0c8072c7e07da2b6a078a9b6c.jpg

a4d1508952657d19ad8055a5f5767120.jpg

I would like to go with a bigger wheel on the back, but you can't get raised white letter tires in the larger wheel sizes, and a B body without them just doesn't look right to me. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back