• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mostly original paint floors with areas of surface rust

wasco

Local time
9:51 AM
Reaction score
Hello all!

I was looking through other threads for some guidance but didn't see an answer to my question. I have a car with nice solid floors sporting original paint. I'd like to treat the corners and the areas of minor surface rust before installing insulation and carpet, but haven't found a similar situation. I should backtrack to say that my plan is to preserve the car, just doing what is needed to prevent further rust and get it back on the road. Sure, I could buy a rotisserie and spend five years working on it but I sold a '67 Camaro I'd been dinking with for 30 years to get this car and I'm not waiting that long again!

Clean up the floor and shoot the whole thing in epoxy and then paint single stage? Encapsulate the whole floor and then throw down insulation and carpet and move on? What's a good affordable under carpet insulation? Advice from your collective wisdom is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

image.png

If floors are that solid, a rotisserie should not be needed. Clean it up spray it over and drive
My opinion

no holes in 50 years...... wont be any holes any time soon.........clean em up a little, coat them with something and move on.....I'd dribble something into the seams though.......not a big fan of por 15, but it does have it's place

I suggest you try "Rust Mort" or some other type of waterered-down-Elmer's glue looking "rust converter" that you buy at any auto parts store. Not the rust remover, the "converts to a black paintable surface" type. Then prime/paint over it.

Those floors look pretty good. Clean off the rust then encapsulate what doesn't sand away. Under the carpet you can buy the high dollar sound insulator or go to lowes and buy a big roll of it a lot cheaper. I couldn't tell the difference. I did the fancy first then lowes on the next.

Thanks TommyTMopar! I'll check out the Lowe's stuff.

Hello all!

I was looking through other threads for some guidance but didn't see an answer to my question. I have a car with nice solid floors sporting original paint. I'd like to treat the corners and the areas of minor surface rust before installing insulation and carpet, but haven't found a similar situation. I should backtrack to say that my plan is to preserve the car, just doing what is needed to prevent further rust and get it back on the road. Sure, I could buy a rotisserie and spend five years working on it but I sold a '67 Camaro I'd been dinking with for 30 years to get this car and I'm not waiting that long again!

Clean up the floor and shoot the whole thing in epoxy and then paint single stage? Encapsulate the whole floor and then throw down insulation and carpet and move on? What's a good affordable under carpet insulation? Advice from your collective wisdom is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

View attachment 414862
I would clean it up then use a phos acid on it to stop further rust then coat with paint or an encapsulate . IMO if you dont kill the rust and then install carpet it will hold any moisture and help the rust progress

Auto Transport Service
Back