• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noisey transmission

Bbody4speed

Local time
11:04 PM
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 63 fury. Previous owner installed 413 with A833 4 speed. It has a very noticeable whining or whirring noise with my foot off the clutch in neutral. It goes away when I disengage the clutch. It has a similar only louder noise in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It quiets down in 4th. All the research I've done says it should be quiet in all forward gears. I've also heard that some wear issuse in these transmissions can't be fixed by just replacing bearings. Previous owner indicated that he installed new pilot bushing and throwout bearing when he put the 4 speed in it. He also said he put sleeves at seals on input and output shaft due to wear. Seems like there is wear in other places as well. Any thoughts?

The pilot bushing may have gotten loose and spun up inside the crank.

Or it's as simple as the throw-out bearing is poked from riding too much - incorrectly adjusted from installation time.

From your description it sounds like a plain worn out transmission. Get it rebuilt.
Mike

The pilot bushing may have gotten loose and spun up inside the crank.

Or it's as simple as the throw-out bearing is poked from riding too much - incorrectly adjusted from installation
What do you mean by poked from riding too much? The throwout bearing is new as well, with very few miles on it.

The counter shaft is loaded in 1st, 2nd ,3rd but not 4th. It also spins in neutral with the clutch released. My bet is it has worn counter shaft needle bearings and possibly the shaft or counter gear.
Doug

The counter shaft is loaded in 1st, 2nd ,3rd but not 4th. It also spins in neutral with the clutch released. My bet is it has worn counter shaft needle bearings and possibly the shaft or counter gear.
Doug
That sounds bad. Obviously i will need to take it apart, but If it is a shaft issue should I be looking for another transmission?

Parts are available, either new or good-used. If you buy another transmission you may end up with issues again unless you pay about $2,000-2500 for a professionally rebuilt one. If you are equipped to rebuild it yourself you can probably save at least half of that. These are tough transmissions.

Parts are available, either new or good-used. If you buy another transmission you may end up with issues again unless you pay about $2,000-2500 for a professionally rebuilt one. If you are equipped to rebuild it yourself you can probably save at least half of that. These are tough transmissions.
Understood. The fact that it has sleeves at the seals suggests that machining or a new main shaft may be required as well as components on counter shaft. I'll have to get it out and see what's going on.

I personally have never seen a worn cluster gear. The shaft. Bearing kit and blocker rings are pretty cheap. I can do them. How far are you from Detroit?
Doug

I personally have never seen a worn cluster gear. The shaft. Bearing kit and blocker rings are pretty cheap. I can do them. How far are you from Detroit?
Doug
Thanks, I'm about 7 hours from Detroit. I appreciate your offer. I am going to remove it, then I will consider the options. I actually don't mind working on them.

Could be the needle bearings in the back of the input shaft. Main shaft spins in them in all gears but 4th. I agree with the others. Rebuild time. Bearings and syncros. Not terribly expensive if gears are ok. Not hard if you have access to a hydraulic press. Way simpler than an automatic

Auto Transport Service
Back