• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

parking brake cable routing pic needed

tak419

Local time
1:37 AM
Reaction score
As the title says I need a pic or the parking brake cable routing in the area where it crosses the exhaust pipe. Also does it cross over or under the pipe, does the cable rub against the floor pans and the S shaped hook, where exactly does that hook ? I thought it was the tranny cross member but if I hook mine there it is about 6" short of grabbing the cable. It's been so long since the car had the e brake I don't remember lol. This is an oem cable set by the way and not aftermarket and my car has a factory type h-pipe exhaust. It's possible the exhaust may be tad low but don't think so.

As the title says I need a pic or the parking brake cable routing in the area where it crosses the exhaust pipe. Also does it cross over or under the pipe, does the cable rub against the floor pans and the S shaped hook, where exactly does that hook ? I thought it was the tranny cross member but if I hook mine there it is about 6" short of grabbing the cable. It's been so long since the car had the e brake I don't remember lol. This is an oem cable set by the way and not aftermarket and my car has a factory type h-pipe exhaust. It's possible the exhaust may be tad low but don't think so.[/QUO

Found some video on Youtube. I've seen the s hook on both the top and bottom of the cross member, anyone know which is correct ? I think my cable may be short cause no matter what I do it isn't reaching the hook.

I assume for a '71 as in your avatar?

I don't have my pictures with me as I'm out of the country but will try to answer:
1. Cable crosses over the pipes. No, doesn't rub if it is tensioned right.
2. The "S" hook, hooks right under the tranny mount. One more thing, the "S" hook original? The original wasn't a "S" and can't find the picture off hand

I assume for a '71 as in your avatar?

I don't have my pictures with me as I'm out of the country but will try to answer:
1. Cable crosses over the pipes. No, doesn't rub if it is tensioned right.
2. The "S" hook, hooks right under the tranny mount. One more thing, the "S" hook original? The original wasn't a "S" and can't find the picture off hand

Yes I assume the hook is original. It's more like a 5" long piece with a bend on each end, why I called it an s hook. You're saying the cable won't rub on the pipes ? If the hook mounts to the bottom of the tranny mount it'll pull the cable down and that in turn will pull it onto the pipe. The under carriage vids sorta show that. Wish you had a pic.

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but this is what it looks like on my 73, goes above the pipes, this is a pictures with out the exhaust or trans in yet. It does make contact with the floor pans, especially when the brake is on, but I put some plastic sleeves over the cable where it makes contact so it would not wear through the paint. Previously was not a problem as I had undercoating, but no longer.
IMAG1665.jpg
IMAG1668.jpg
IMAG1667.jpg
IMAG1666.jpg

Here is a picture with exhaust going in, and shows the plastic sleeve up against the bottom of the floor pan, which I believe I got at Ace hardware and you can wind it on to the cable.
IMAG1895.jpg

Here is a picture with exhaust going in, and shows the plastic sleeve up against the bottom of the floor pan, which I believe I got at Ace hardware and you can wind it on to the cable.
View attachment 543312

The pic did help some. I didn't know the 73 had the cross member that looked like that, thought the isolated started in 74. Learn something everyday. I've been finding a few videos on Youtube that show the under carriage well and it looks as if some have the hook on the bottom of the cross member and some on the top. Guess either will work.

Yes, in the original configuration, the cable rides across the top of the pipes and will contact the floor under the rear seat foot wells.

DSC08900.JPG

Yes, in the original configuration, the cable rides across the top of the pipes and will contact the floor under the rear seat foot wells.

View attachment 544288
Nice Pic. My cable must be short cause my cable won't come close to grabbing the s hook on the cross member. I'm gonna measure mine. Everything I read says 80" length.

Auto Transport Service
Back