• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Petty Blue on a budget

Bryan Z

Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
Just sold my Yamaha four wheeler ATV. Didn't like the home brewed "camo" paint job so I went to Lowe's for a better color paint. I found this rattle can color of Rustoleum called "Gloss Sail Blue". It made my '85 Yamaha Moto4 look a lot better. I also noticed that it looked VERY close to the 1972-1973 Mopar "Super Blue", aka "Petty Blue". The color even "pops" in bright sunlight just like Petty Blue. I parked my four wheeler next to my Super Blue 1972 Charger S.E. It isn't an exact match of course, but it's very close.
Every once in a while, people still paint their cars with spray cans. Sometimes the car only cost a few hundred bucks which doesn't justify a paint job costing more than the whole car did. You could probably paint an old car Sail Blue for less than 50 bucks.

Attachments

• april 3 pixx 003.jpg
    april 3 pixx 003.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 3,250
  • april 3 pixx 007.jpg
    april 3 pixx 007.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2,152
  • sail Blue1.jpg
    sail Blue1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 7,395
I took my 66 belvedere franklin mint petty car in to have the paint mixed for my 67 gtx...Cost me less than 600 bucks for the paint..Petty holds the patent for the color...Super blue is new to me..
Petty Blue 67 GTX

Auto Transport Service
Back