• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulling center link off

fwi

Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score
Any advice on whether to use the pickle fork or C clamp type puller?

Need to get it out of the way to install passenger side headers.

I agree....but whenever I start pulling stuff off, I just replace wear items automatically. ....

Jeff
I do as well, but sometimes you have to remove a brand new tie rod and well there goes that boot.

Sharp rap with a big ole hammer
I learned this after buying a 4 lb sledge. This makes a huge difference. I have beat the snot out of a ball joint with a 16 oz eastwing.. NO GO. Then I bought the 4 pound eastwing and learned the lesson that bigger is better in this case.

I just replaced my inner & outer tie rods and idler arm last night. Little tension with a bar and a good smack with the hammer. I did need to air chisel the idler off the K frame though. The rest came off very easily.

I learned this after buying a 4 lb sledge. This makes a huge difference. I have beat the snot out of a ball joint with a 16 oz eastwing.. NO GO. Then I bought the 4 pound eastwing and learned the lesson that bigger is better in this case.
Correct advice on the hammer.
Never bring a knife to a gunfight

If you have the room, loosen nut 3/4 turns and take 2 hammers and smack both sides at the same time.

Last edited:
Went to Harbor Freight and bought the short handle 4 lbs sledge......worked perfect. Now I have to saw off 1/4" of studs to squeeze header onto #2 hole..

Update......trimmed both #2 header studs, disconnected center link, removed valve cover and.......it worked, pax side header is bolted in, tomorrow I install the driver side.....which I have already installed before, other than having to trim the second header bolt....:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Replace the crap rubber boots, with urethane aftermarket boots.

Well the driver side headers didn't fit as well as they should have....that big starter is in the way, ordered a mini and hope it works.

i hope it works out for ya

what kind of headers you intalling?

im looking at installing schumacher tri's on my 66 coronet, 440cu, 727, with power steering.

watermelon

i hope it works out for ya

what kind of headers you intalling?

im looking at installing schumacher tri's on my 66 coronet, 440cu, 727, with power steering.

watermelon

They are identical to Hedmans 78030 but made by Chrysler.

Auto Transport Service
Back