• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring A Trunk

The Rebel

Local time
8:32 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys. Trunk is in ok shape just some surface rust. Was thinking about sanding/wire brushing it and then using a kit like this. have you used this kit before or is there a better product out there.

Thanks in advance,
Roger

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

I like to "react my rust away" so it doesn't come back with Rust Mort or similar rust CONVERTER (not remover) after I wire brush the metal. After that, the self-etching primer is a good idea & then paint to the look you want. A lot of people on here use Por 15 (?) but I haven't tried it.

POR 15, in my experience is crap, mine started peeling and that was even after some surface prep which is says is not required.

I've had good results with POR 15. But if you want to paint the POR 15 to match the exterior of your car you'll need to apply another product first so the paint will have teeth so to speak. I think it's call Tie Coat, or something like that.

My trunk was in worse shape. I used Chassis Saver (same as POR-15, but $10/qt cheaper) after a good scrape and wire brushing. Then I sprayed and cleared it. Worked great.

Auto Transport Service
Back