• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sometimes you just overthink things

moparwacko

YUGE GOLD MEMBER
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
After a weeks vacation the batteries were dead in about everything I owned. All have returned to normal except the Roadrunner. Im not new to diagnosing electrical maladies, and these old cars are pretty simple electrically speaking. So, a definite 12v draw with everything off by meter reading. Methodically disconnecting components one at a time until the only thing connected was the bare bare pos cable. Still a 12v draw!
WTF?
It was then the duh moment occurred.
The only thing I added this past year was a used SunPro tach to the pos cable.
Voila!
And im an idiot for putting it there, and not an ignition source.
Sometimes you really do over diagnose a simple problem.
Glad my shop rate is reasonable :rolleyes: because there's another 3-4 hrs to hook everything back up.:(

The Tic-Toc tac clocks have an electric rewind that requires/takes power when they wind down.---No power drain measured as they tic --until they wind down.---
I heard mine rewind once while looking for an unexplained battery drain.
It is a small drain for sure and not what my issue was but it is there --as long as they work. Like the air compressor that is left on all the time and a small leak turns it on as needed. :)

Last edited:
It was then the duh moment occurred.
red-forman-picture.jpg

:lol:

Glad you found the problem Wacko.

Auto Transport Service
Back