• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speedometer and Choke Cable passthrough Firewall locations, 1962

John Keyburn

Local time
3:24 AM
Reaction score
Hello fellow FBBO members,
I've recently made in interesting discovery regarding firewall hole placements for both the speedometer passthrough and the choke cable pass through location (for Max Wedge dual choke cable(MWDCC) kits)

It seems that some 1962 Plymouth and Dodges came from the factory with the speedometer cable passthrough located where the Choke cable passthrough is typically located. My (orig 318 car) is setup this way. Some google searching has also shown that to be the case on more than a few other cars too.

I wonder if this has been noticed by others who are tinkering with these cars. Please chime in!

Below are a few examples, with my notes / observations. As was common for manufacturing variations and different assembly plants I wonder what factors played into why some speedometer cable locations are in the less common higher and more to the passenger side position documented to be for the choke cable for cars equipped with a manual choke (Only the 413 Max Wedge?)

Photo of my car, 1962 Plymouth Savoy (orig 318 Car)
Speedometer cable Firewall hole is exactly at the Choke cable location, based on the template provided by the Max Wedge Dual Choke Cable (MWDCC)instructions
Location of Speedometer cable not at the standard location (that being lower and to the right - above the fender "deck")
1962 Plymouth Savoy, 3121109700.png

KhryslerKids Dodge Polara 500
Location of Speedometer cable also at location of MWDCC location (The more common being lower and to the right - above the fender "deck")
1962 Dodge Polara 500, KK.png

Unknown Firewalls look to be 1962/1963 though
Top one Speedometer passthrough hole at standard location
Bottom one interestingly no choke cable OR Speedo cable passthrough hole
1962 B Body, Firewall, Engine Compartment, Drivers Side, 002.jpg ‎- Photos.jpg

1962 Dodge or Plymouth (Photo clipped from MoparMall.com Push Button/E Brake Grommet listing)
Speedometer Cable location at the Choke cable location
What appears to be a choke cable is in a non-standard location, likley aftermarket location
1962 B Body, Firewall, Engine Compartment, Drivers Side, 001.jpg ‎- Photos.jpg

1962 Plymouth Savoy, VIN: 2121154921 Photo from classiccars.com listing
Speedometer cable passthrough hole at standard location, lower to amd more above fender "deck"
1962 B Body, Firewall, Engine Compartment, Drivers Side, 006.jpg ‎- Photos.jpg

1962 Dodge Dart, VIN 5122166109
Both Speedometer location (Lower)
And Dual Choke location (upper) are in most common location
1962 B Body, Firewall, Engine Compartment, Drivers Side, 007.jpg ‎- Photos.png

1962 Plymouth Savoy,
Speedometer location (Lower) in typical more common location, grommet appears to have paint on it.
Dual Choke location (upper) also in more common location
1962 B Body, Firewall, Engine Compartment, Drivers Side, 008.jpg ‎- Photos.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back