• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stupid question but I'm curious

JG1966

Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
I am a newbie to suspension work so bear with me. I am redoing my front end and factory service manual for 72 RR says "Slide tie rod end seal protector over tie rod end." I can't find anything about these on line, I certainly didn't have them on old tie rods and didn't get them with new tie rods. Is this one of those instructions in FSM that I skip/ignore?

Sounds like some instructions you read in a Haynes or a Chilton.

Do like Snakeoil said. :thumbsup:

Probably a sleeve to protect threads while installing(?) CYA instructions for ham-handed techs.

The front suspension is the same as on my 66 Satellite. I downloaded a 72 Service from MyMopar to see if there is any difference from mine, none. The only nut on a tie rod end is the nut that holds the tie rod to the drag link or ball joint arm. The dust seal goes on first. I could fine the quote you site? It always helps to look at the exploded view of the system your working on. In the MyMopar download page 48 I think shows the exploded view +/- a page. You have to scroll down to Plymouth service manuals.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Also at times there's a cardboard sleeve under the nut for shipping purposes to keep dust seal in place; it gets removed before installation.

If your looking at Chilton or non-factory service manual and download one from MyMopar. Then you print out what you need.
PS no questions are stupid. You learn by doing and sometimes screwing up. I know pulling a trans because of my screw up.

Sounds like some instructions you read in a Haynes or a Chilton.

Do like Snakeoil said. :thumbsup:

I did it just like Snakeoil said. This is verbatim from 72 FSM. I don't use Chilton's. :) Ma Mopar only.

This is from FSM

(8) Inspect tie rod end seal and replace if damaged. Connect tie rod end to steering knuckle arm and tighten nut 40 foot-pounds. Slide tie rod end seal protector over tie rod end and install cotter pin.
(9) Connect shock absorber to control arm and tighten finger tight only. (Valiant install bolt

Had what I think your describing on a 66 Satellite parts car. It was rubber but it covered the tie rod that went on ball joint steering arm. It's was like a splash guard. Think it's in garage someplace like many things that I couldn't put my hand on. They weren't on my other 66 both were St. Louis cars.

Had what I think your describing on a 66 Satellite parts car. It was rubber but it covered the tie rod that went on ball joint steering arm. It's was like a splash guard. Think it's in garage someplace like many things that I couldn't put my hand on. They weren't on my other 66 both were St. Louis cars.
Thanks Fran. I figured it was some obscure CYA part that never gets replaced/used after they leave the factory. Kind of like dowel pins on the intake manifold.

Don't know production date o parts car. My good Satellite was had original front suspension on it. Car had 82k when I got it. Forgot to ask original owner if he had inner wheel bearing seize on pass side spindle. Had an 1/8" hollow that looked someone torched off the bearing.

I did it just like Snakeoil said. This is verbatim from 72 FSM. I don't use Chilton's. :) Ma Mopar only.

This is from FSM

(8) Inspect tie rod end seal and replace if damaged. Connect tie rod end to steering knuckle arm and tighten nut 40 foot-pounds. Slide tie rod end seal protector over tie rod end and install cotter pin.
(9) Connect shock absorber to control arm and tighten finger tight only. (Valiant install bolt
Strange I can not find it in the FSM issued by Chrysler Corp.
Have never seen the FSM issued by MyMopar.

Strange I can not find it in the FSM issued by Chrysler Corp.
Have never seen the FSM issued by MyMopar.
This is from the one on MyMopar. It's under "lower control arm and shaft removal and installation." In other sections (such as steering knuckle removal and installation) there is no mention of a tie rod end seal protector. Either way, I thought MyMopar version of FSM was the exact same as the Chrysler issue but apparently not.

Last edited:
I have seen the tie rod end protective cover , probably in a service manual. I looked all over for some of those and could not find a source. I used the cone shaped ones purchased from a auto parts dealer. they seal the joint and goes between the TR end and the part that the taper goes in to. I cannot find ones that don't split down the side in a very short time. so I just go without. Anyone know of ones that do not split-tear? Those ones from Summit better not fail in short time for what they cost. .........................MO

Stay off of gravel and dirt roads and grease often.
We all know from car show experences Mopars melt in the rain. So you should have no problem with water.

Just kidding.

Wouldn't this be referring to some sort of protection for the tie-rod boot from brake components heat ?

Wouldn't this be referring to some sort of protection for the tie-rod boot from brake components heat ?
Before that boot needs heat protection the grease in the joints going to cook and tire will be on fire.

Sounds like something to further seal against moisture seeping in, never saw or heard of myself.

Auto Transport Service
Back