• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TF904 Rebuild

MillerB

Local time
9:59 PM
Reaction score
I have my clutch packs together now and have checked the clearance. I am finding mixed reviews about what you would like the clearance to be.
Front clutch= .070"
Rear clutch= .047"
Does this sound right?
Thanks for any help!

MillerB, Is this a stock rebuild? Do these clearances fall into the factory tolerances? Do you have a FSM or aftermarket transmission repair manual?
I can check my resources for you if you need me to do so.
Mike

Those specs will work fine. Well in the factory range. On all out race units the front can be as tight as .012" per friction. For the front clutch (.012"x 4 =.048") . minimum. Normally i set the front at .015" per friction. I've run the rear clutch as tight as .025" total, .006" per friction.
Doug

Last edited:
The low reverse band is not included in the kit that I purchased. Would you recommend always replacing it or what are the signs that it needs to be replaced. Photos of band are attached.

IMG_5662.JPG IMG_5663.JPG IMG_5664.JPG

MillerB, Is this a stock rebuild? Do these clearances fall into the factory tolerances? Do you have a FSM or aftermarket transmission repair manual?
I can check my resources for you if you need me to do so.
Mike

Mike, I purchased a full rebuild kit with a shift kit included and better clutches but it is not going to have any real horsepower behind it for a while. It does fall into the factory specs for clutch clearance from my FSM. Thanks for your help.

IMG_5666.JPG

Rear band has two functions. Reverse and 1st gear trans braking. Unless they're physically broken I've never replaced one.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back