• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The long road and what I've learned

steve from staten island

Local time
11:01 PM
Reaction score
My convertible top is due to be installed Tuesday. Im picking up the windshield trim which was professionally polished tomorrow. All that is left beside's getting the engine to run better is installation of the interior and some odds and ends. There are bugs to be worked out and over the winter i will drop the tank and install my rebuilt original sending unit.
What i leaned is never rush to disassemble a car. In fact the disassembly is as important or more than the reassembly. Ive also learned the value of original equipment or NOS parts. In addition i learned the hard way and sometime costly to use the best parts and vendor services available.
It is looking very good that i will be cruising with the top down in 2018. Seven plus years many hours and lots of money to get to this point. Im excited to say the least!

Congrats, it’ll Be a great feeling when you get behind the wheel. Can’t wait to see some pictures!

What I've learned is to buy a solid straight car that's basically done, but needs little things that need to be addressed. It's only taken me 40 years to figure that out though. :realcrazy:

Way to go, Steve.
I enjoy the reassembly part. Clean parts going on over new paint is fun to me. Disassembly is fun as well but you are right, you need to carefully document where stuff goes, HOW it was positioned and all of that. When I was putting my 70 Charger back together, I had stuff in boxes that made me say..."What the hell is this???" That is not much fun.

What I've learned is to buy a solid straight car that's basically done, but needs little things that need to be addressed. It's only taken me 40 years to figure that out though. :realcrazy:
How much did that education cost ya?? How much was the last purchase of a "done" car??
I see many guys chippin away at their projects as time & money allow.In the end they have spent more than buying a "done" one,but few have the coin to just buy one finished. And buying one nowadaze is insane thanks to Barret-Jackson and the other clones,,,,or is it clowns:)

I will be excited to see a picture...lol......

No better feeling than seeing a project inch closer to fruition.....Keep in mind 7 years and your this close don't rush the last 10%....whats a few more months at this point...

Congrats!

I can speak to this as well I could have bought done cars but the love and time dedicated is worth it. It keeps me sane or insane depending on how you see it. This last car was the biggest effort for since I dud everything this time except assemble the transmission.

How much did that education cost ya?? How much was the last purchase of a "done" car??
I see many guys chippin away at their projects as time & money allow.In the end they have spent more than buying a "done" one,but few have the coin to just buy one finished. And buying one nowadaze is insane thanks to Barret-Jackson and the other clones,,,,or is it clowns:)

That "education" cost me far more money than I could ever count! The last three "done" cars I bought cost me fair market value for the type of cars they are and time that they were purchased. All three cars did need some finessing & detailing, which still costs plenty, but no body work.

I thought I bought a finished one. Ive already got an addtional 5k in it. You just never know whats under there unless you did it yourself.

Sounds real good there Steve. Could use some pics though of what ya have done so far. Curious minds would like to know...cr8crshr/Tuck:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Almost there!
Will your finished car replace the '?' as your avatar?
:popcorn:

I own 2 convertibles and I don't know how they do it now but I took my deck lid off so the guy could pull the top from the trunk floor instead of laying across the deck lid. This was 20 years ago and the guy who did my top did tops for 45-50 years and did excellent work I just made it easy for him and he thanked me cause he was close to 70 years old. It was one of the last few he did before he retired...

I can’t wait to say the same Steve, mines going to take a little longer.

Good job!

i would never buy a done car as
unless you are playing with the creme of the crop (the top 1%)
most are rattle canned bondo full of repo parts perfume pigs..
my definition of restore and done is alot different then most
and you will never know what you got until it is naked (bare metal)
in front of you.

Auto Transport Service
Back