• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trunk hinge torsion bars, what am I missing

Crider

Local time
1:13 AM
Reaction score
I finally got a set of hinge torsion rods for the 69 convertible. I installed them tonight, they look to be installed correctly, and hold the deck lid open fine. I put a set of the square plastic blocks on the ends from a donor car. My problem is when I try to shut the trunk, instead of sliding along the hinges like they are supposed to, it tries to twist the springs under and then forces them to pop out of the notches at the top above the hinges. Anyone ever run into this problem before? Suggestions on what to try? Also anybody that could send me a couple pics of the way these are installed on a convertible would be greatly appreciated

I finally got a set of hinge torsion rods for the 69 convertible. I installed them tonight, they look to be installed correctly, and hold the deck lid open fine. I put a set of the square plastic blocks on the ends from a donor car. My problem is when I try to shut the trunk, instead of sliding along the hinges like they are supposed to, it tries to twist the springs under and then forces them to pop out of the notches at the top above the hinges. Anyone ever run into this problem before? Suggestions on what to try? Also anybody that could send me a couple pics of the way these are installed on a convertible would be greatly appreciated
Did you grease them?

Lightly, that kind of crossed my mind that they may have needed more grease after I came in the house and thought about it some

Here you go crider.... 70 convertible. Do these help?

trunk support right.jpg trunk support left.jpg

Lightly, that kind of crossed my mind that they may have needed more grease after I came in the house and thought about it some
Believe it or not prior to paint at the factory they got greased heavily and then got painted grease and all, lol...

If the trunk shuts easily with no binding and pops up easily but doesn't fly too fast up it sounds like your ok..

Thanks for the pics purple beeper, your pics confirm that I had them in right. Guess ill try putting more grease on them and see if they will start sliding like they are supposed to

Thanks for the pics purple beeper, your pics confirm that I had them in right. Guess ill try putting more grease on them and see if they will start sliding like they are supposed to
Use bearing grease...

I had the same issue on my Charger of them catching and popping out, specifically on the driver side. There is a ramp on the back of the hinge arm that those plastic pieces slide on. Mine looked like something had happened to the ramp so it wasn't a smooth transition. it would slide to a certain point where the angle of the ramp changed and it would catch. I was thinking I would need to do something to smooth that area, but the car went to the shop before doing anything.

While getting ready to mount the new quarter panels, they found that the driver side hinge was bent, so they straightened it out. It will be interesting to see if that fixes it or if we still need to do something to smooth the area.

I would crawl in the trunk and check the ramp those pieces slide on as someone opens and closes the trunk. See where it is catching. I don't have pictures, but I found one online. Mine was opening to the point that the slide bushing was getting up where I have the red arrow pointing. Then when I tried to close it, the slide bushing caught on where the green arrow is pointing.

I don't know if the sheet metal ramp that bridges across there got bent, or if something else was wrong, allowing it to open too far. Either way,.... Look at that ramp area, and see how far up the bushing is sliding, and where it is catching when you try to close it.

Ok here is a couple of pics of what I have going on. Anybody see what my problem is? Could I have the rods in the wrong sides? Wrong hinges maybe?

IMG_0514.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0515.JPG IMG_0521.JPG

Update. I got it!! It was all the dummy that was putting them in’s fault...lol. Thanks to all those who tried to help.

Update. I got it!! It was all the dummy that was putting them in’s fault...lol. Thanks to all those who tried to help.
Could explain, photo's. Curious minds want to know. Glad you got it.

Best I can explain it, is that in the top picture, the plastic slide is postponed about an inch or so forward of where it should have been. It needs to be sitting on the little ramp piece that is welded to the hinge. I have it in front of that

Auto Transport Service
Back