• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uninsured Drivers Get Automatic Ticket in Oklahoma

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
Skip down to "How It Works" in the article if you want a quick read.

My first thought is how do they know if the person driving is insured?

Second, if we (Oklahoma) is in a $215 million dollar budget shortfall, how are we going to pay for the implementation of a new system of which the creators get 46%?

Third, does it only work for Oklahoma drivers? In other words, tags issued by the state of Oklahoma? What about the myriads of other drivers using our roads?

Fourth, what if the system works at getting people to buy auto insurance? You might think that a certain number of uninsured motorists is required to maintain the system for the years to come. Self defeating if the whole thing is designed to get uninsured drivers off the roads.

http://oklahomawatch.org/2017/11/16...ninsured-drivers-closer-to-automatic-tickets/

No scanners in Ill.. When you apply for new tags, you have to list your Ins. Co., policy no. & expiration date. Seems like a simple, cheap and logical way to go.

Proof of Insurance is required at all traffic-stops in Michigan. No proof...ticket.

No scanners in Ill.. When you apply for new tags, you have to list your Ins. Co., policy no. & expiration date. Seems like a simple, cheap and logical way to go.

Proof of Insurance is required at all traffic-stops in Michigan. No proof...ticket.

Both already exist here in Oklahoma. We still rank highest in the nation at 26% uninsured motorists.

I don't understand how anyone could be driving uninsured in their own car that they bought the tag for showing the insurance verification in their own name to obtain the tag that a scanner is going to read.

Both already exist here in Oklahoma. We still rank highest in the nation at 26% uninsured motorists.

I don't understand how anyone could be driving uninsured in their own car that they bought the tag for showing the insurance verification in their own name to obtain the tag that a scanner is going to read.

Sounds like OK. doesn't really have it's **** together to make sure that people are obeying the law, sounds more screwed up then CA., and from me, That's saying a hell of a lot!!

Before scanning in Texas, it was common for people to buy insurance and then drop it once the car was registered. I know people that got pulled over for speeding and showed the cop their ins card and went on their merry way once the ticket for speeding was issued. Now the state even knows when your vehicle is safety/emissions inspected out of county and if it was done in a county that doesn't require emission inspection, you'll get a letter in the mail.....like that's going to help lol

NYS. No insurance, automatic fine. drivers license will be suspended. Until laps of insurance is pay...

It will ultimately fail. Many cities in Texas installed red light cameras to generate revenue. The majority have ripped them out because the cost of lawsuits has almost offset the revenue collected.

It will ultimately fail. Many cities in Texas installed red light cameras to generate revenue. The majority have ripped them out because the cost of lawsuits has almost offset the revenue collected.
Yep. I wonder how many will just pay the tickets.

They ripped out the majority here because they were not profitable.....The profitable cameras are still active...They owned and operated by a vendor whom the city has to pay for...

Yep. I wonder how many will just pay the tickets.

Most probably will as did most people who received RL tickets in the beginning. Eventually though someone will go after it as unconstitutional or maybe even discriminatory because perhaps it inordinately impacts the Native American population. Where there a will there is a lawyer looking to make some money off it.

Skip down to "How It Works" in the article if you want a quick read.

My first thought is how do they know if the person driving is insured?

Second, if we (Oklahoma) is in a $215 million dollar budget shortfall, how are we going to pay for the implementation of a new system of which the creators get 46%?

Third, does it only work for Oklahoma drivers? In other words, tags issued by the state of Oklahoma? What about the myriads of other drivers using our roads?

Fourth, what if the system works at getting people to buy auto insurance? You might think that a certain number of uninsured motorists is required to maintain the system for the years to come. Self defeating if the whole thing is designed to get uninsured drivers off the roads.

http://oklahomawatch.org/2017/11/16...ninsured-drivers-closer-to-automatic-tickets/
Talk about Liberals! Freedom is only as good as governments allow and cameras are for lazy asses that have nothing better to do than think up ways to invent a new "cash cow" like this. Pretty soon it will be law that you have to buy insurance, if it isn't already. Once this step is taken the insurance companies ban together and start to set prices for insurance of what ever value they need to satisfy their personal lives or shareholders. When the price is out of reach for some of the less wealthy and young, they'll take the fine rather than pay ridiculously high premiums for insurance. Another issue that can arise is theft of license plates for that one night of fun. Regardless, the state stands to rake in a fortune and once they realise that there will be new schemes coming in the near future. There is way too much expense involved in owning a vehicle as it is but, seeing as everyone has at least one vehicle that they need for work and general transportation, this is one area of society where "the sky's the limit" as to how much money any government level can rake in.

Talk about Liberals! Freedom is only as good as governments allow and cameras are for lazy asses that have nothing better to do than think up ways to invent a new "cash cow" like this. Pretty soon it will be law that you have to buy insurance, if it isn't already. Once this step is taken the insurance companies ban together and start to set prices for insurance of what ever value they need to satisfy their personal lives or shareholders. When the price is out of reach for some of the less wealthy and young, they'll take the fine rather than pay ridiculously high premiums for insurance. Another issue that can arise is theft of license plates for that one night of fun. Regardless, the state stands to rake in a fortune and once they realise that there will be new schemes coming in the near future. There is way too much expense involved in owning a vehicle as it is but, seeing as everyone has at least one vehicle that they need for work and general transportation, this is one area of society where "the sky's the limit" as to how much money any government level can rake in.
I couldn’t agree with you more !! Insurance IMO is a F’n scam

In Cal since 2006, a cop knows whether You're insured or not as soon as He runs the plate

A cop also knows whether you have insurance when he sees you have no license to drive and you're not a US citizen.

A cop also knows whether you have insurance when he sees you have no license to drive and you're not a US citizen.
Not if your Ca, here you a free drivers license! Legal or illegal all other states will fallow WHY??? $$$$$$

I couldn’t agree with you more !! Insurance IMO is a F’n scam

As I call it, "legalized extortion!"

Not if your Ca, here you a free drivers license! Legal or illegal all other states will fallow WHY??? $$$$$$

What are you smoking? Not when I lived there, you can't even get a "real" ID that shows your a US citizen. Then when I moved they upped my plate renewal $45 to a fee of $165 on a 25 year old vehicle, WTF? Then they want to stick me with a $85 penalty for not renewing after I moved, **** them! Your more fucked up in that state and should be more then ashamed to live there!

Streets would be empty in San Jose without unlicensed uninsured drivers.

What are you smoking? Not when I lived there, you can't even get a "real" ID that shows your a US citizen. Then when I moved they upped my plate renewal $45 to a fee of $165 on a 25 year old vehicle, WTF? Then they want to stick me with a $85 penalty for not renewing after I moved, **** them! Your more fucked up in that state and should be more then ashamed to live there!
Ashamed?? ashamed of what!! the senators absolutely But I bear no shame !! It wasn’t my Doing I didn’t Vote for this ****
IMO you should be ashamed for running I’m not gonna be pushed out **** that only cowards run !!

Oh by the way illegal citizens in California get drivers license as fucked up as that is it’s true like it or not

Auto Transport Service
Back